Topic: An investigation of available oboe gougers

I have just completed a cursory investigating the various available gougers for oboe as a precursor to a possible purchase by my son.  Originally I planned to post my findings directly but the process got somewhat out of hand and I ended up with a multi-page document.  I've therefore attached it to this post as a pdf file.  I welcome any comments, criticisms, and corrections as they will certainly help us in making a final purchase decision.

NOTE: There is an error in the drawing of the gouger blade sharpening jig.  The blocks which are meant to limit the arc of blade movement should stick up above the level of the sharpening stone.

Last edited by rchick (2017-06-04 03:49:42)

Post's attachments

Oboe Gouger Comparisons.pdf 201.58 kb, 22 downloads since 2017-05-21 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: An investigation of available oboe gougers

Hello Richard,
I have owned a Ridilla model gouger since 2007. I can confirm that, to me, it is easy to adjust, precise, versatile, and convenient. Regarding the setup adjustments on the bottom of the machine –– in ten years, I've never touched them. So much is able to be done with the adjustments up top, I've had no need.
I like that it's very easy to experiment with different settings -- the dial indicator allows you to easily return the carriage back to where you started (in the center, off-center, etc.). Everything is accessible and I have very few criticisms of the machine at all.

Re: An investigation of available oboe gougers

Thanks. The ability to precisely adjust and restore an adjustment and the apparent ability to resist knocking out of adjustment were very attractive for me.  Nice to hear confirmation.  I did notice in some discussions a concern that an off-axis rotational adjustment would introduce unwanted asymmetry.  It seems to me that asymmetry should not be an issue if the machine is set up properly for the center-line cut.  Once you move to double radius you're using primarily one side of the blade.