Topic: Albany(NY)Sym Gets $7m gift

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article … item-38491

Re: Albany(NY)Sym Gets $7m gift

Here is what I posted to Norman Lebrecht's blog:

Dr. Medicus was a kind, gentle, beneficent, munificent man.

He was also brilliant. He was a professor of physics at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, specializing in high-energy nuclear physics. He discovered Technetium-99D, which is used in nuclear medicine.

As well as teaching physics, he also taught a very popular one-credit course on wine tasting. In fact, he continued to teach the course for several years after his official retirement from RPI. He was an oenophile, and enjoyed sharing his interest in wine with others.

He also holds the Guinness World Record for shooting a champagne cork the farthest distance. I don’t remember the exact distance that he told me, but it approximately the length of a football field.

He and his late wife loved classical music, and were regular attendees at local concerts. He loved orchestral music, but he had a soft spot in his heart for chamber music. He especially enjoyed listening to string quartets, which he found easiest to hear as his hearing gradually got worse near the end of his life.

Many organizations are beneficiaries of his munificence, both music- and non-music-related ones. For example, a local hospital received millions of dollars for a new cancer wing.

We miss Henrich.