Topic: WINC Leg Hook + Fox Neck Strap Upgrade = Sadness

Hey all:

I have a Winc leg hook, and I'm having a devil of a time with stability with it- I play an old Fox Model II, with the upgraded strap ring.. and I have this situation where the front facing of the coupling nut on the leg hook doesn't mesh very well with the little base portion of that strap ring.. which means that the bassoon is "wobbly" inside the leg hook carrier.  This is problematic, because my Bb key has this little "foot" that sits outside the Bb guard, and depending on how the bassoon shifts with the leg hook, I can end up with my Bb key open involuntarily.  This wobbliness is not just caused by the coupling-nut side, but also by the retaining screw side.. the strap ring is basically "hanging" between the two contact points, which adds a lot of play to the whole equation.

Winc Research's web site is "under construction", and I've emailed them before for some questions, but I think they're busy these days- has anyone else run into this issue, and if so, how did you deal with it?

I can furnish pictures to illuminate, btw.  My instinct is, if I can figure out what size of coupling nut and retaining screw are being used, I can have them custom-machined to cover those gaps better.. but before I go getting metal sliced, I'm curious about others' workarounds.

Re: WINC Leg Hook + Fox Neck Strap Upgrade = Sadness

I don't have a definitive answer, but maybe I can help a bit.

How old is your setup? Winc offers an upgraded screw that may help you, if yours is older.

There is a Fox version and a Heckel version of the hook. Do you have the correct version?

It may help to shim the cup where the bottom of the bassoon is inserted.

Also, I periodically tighten the screw while playing.

I don't have the problem with the Bb like you do.

Please let us know what your result is, if you opt to have something custom-machined for you.

Update:  Looks like they have a 4-screw configuration "student" neckstrap ring that we think will work with the leg hook.. so one of those is on order, and we'll see how it goes.  It allegedly won't work so well with my balance hanger, but I don't use it very often, and I'd like to stick with the leg hook, so as soon as it gets here we'll see how it fits.

Alternatively, I had the idea that I could do some work with rubber washers to get things to mesh just right.  I will probably try that in the interim!

Will report back as things go.

William Safford wrote:

I don't have a definitive answer, but maybe I can help a bit.

How old is your setup? Winc offers an upgraded screw that may help you, if yours is older.

Ooh, who do I need to poke about the upgraded screw?

William Safford wrote:

There is a Fox version and a Heckel version of the hook. Do you have the correct version?

I do have the correct version, I do believe.

William Safford wrote:

It may help to shim the cup where the bottom of the bassoon is inserted.

Also, I periodically tighten the screw while playing.

I should definitely try the shimming because there's a lot of play with the butt joint in the cup there.

One other thought: on my hook, the nut is adjustable. If yours is the same, try adjusting it outward. It might help with the Bb issue.