Topic: Plastic binding for bassoon reeds

Hi everybody!

I saw some commercial reeds with plastic binding, and was wondering where to find the stuff, the plastic and the necessary kit to bind my reeds with it.

Thanks for your help!!!

Michel Bettez
www.michelbettez.com

Re: Plastic binding for bassoon reeds

Michel..I use hot glue for my reds...looks and feels much like plastic (I guess it is some sort of poly-resin stuff).  I have several colors I use to identify different sources of cane.  Perhaps this is what you are referring to?

Hot glue?

Could you describe it?

I use one layer of glue and 3 of nail lacquer.

Regards

Hi
I think that you are looking for heat shrink tubing. They sell it at Forrests.
Denise

Arundo Reeds sells the plastic chips, according to their website www.arundoreeds.com .

Bryan Cavitt
Bassoonist, Elkhart (IN) Municipal Band; Bassoon Dad

IThe hot glue that I use is meltable, normally is available at any hardware store or hobby shop in opaque white color.  I simply melt the end using a butane lighter, then dab it on the reed tube from the 2nd wire to the butt, then reheat with the butane lighter to make the seal smooth and more finished looking.  I do have several colors of glue sticks, but the only place I found to buy colored sticks required buying 5 pounds, which is a LOT of glue sticks for my purposes.  I used to use heat shrink tubing, sealed with clear nail polish...different colors are usually available at electronic supply shops..I do like the fact that you can write information on the tubing before shrinking it (I use a butane lighter for shrinking the tubing, although Mark Popkin recommends placing the blank with the heat shrink tubing on it very near a standard light bulb to shrink the tubing).  My observation about the differences between the two methods...the hot glue is more structurally stable, and may produce a slightly brighter sound.

Last edited by BassoonII (2007-03-09 20:47:01)

I bought it various colors from Forrests as well. Here we call it "shrinky dink" for bassoon reeds. It looks like a colored rubber tubing and you just cut it and slip on on. With the reed on the mandrel you just roll it over a lit candle or a lighter (be careful not to let it get scorched). When I need to make reeds fast or for young players, it's fast and I find that the bottom two wires never come loose with it!

Lori Putz

Last edited by Lori Olson-Putz (2007-04-29 18:10:54)