Topic: On-line Teaching

Hi All

I am about to be involved in observing a short trial of distance teaching using a country schools' network in Canterbury NZ.

Of necessity the trial will focus on drums, voice, violin and clarinet but will be monitored and studied with a view to assessing the suitability of this medium for distance learning.

Has anyone been involved in such a scheme before?

Do you have any comments or questions relating to this medium?

Neville

Neville Forsythe
Christchurch New Zealand
Bassoonist / Teacher / Conductor

Re: On-line Teaching

Hi Neville,

Sound very interesting! I know that there have been several uses of this in the United States. There is a part-time faculty faculty member (Steve Herberman, guitar) who did something similar to this. I think if the sound quality can be accurately reproduced AND you are able to see locations you want (embouchure, fingers, etc.) it can be almost as good as being there.

Please let us know how it all works.

Terry Ewell
Professor Bassoon, Towson University
Former President, IDRS
Former Principal Bassoon Hong Kong Philharmonic, Wheeling Symphony

I have been teaching students in the Dakotas from my home in Winnipeg Canada. It works pretty good, it won't replace a "live" teacher but if you are living in a remote area with no bassoon teacher this a good substitute.

Vincent Ellin

Vincent,

What equipment do you and your students use? I can see that this is a very helpful method of teaching for students (and teachers) in more remote locations.

Terry

Terry Ewell
Professor Bassoon, Towson University
Former President, IDRS
Former Principal Bassoon Hong Kong Philharmonic, Wheeling Symphony

All I need is an updated Windows Messenger program with a Logictech 5000 (I think that's the number) Video camera. It has a microphone and as long as I don't play to close to it, the sound is pretty good. There are some more advanced programs out there. If I make enough to support this activity I will get a better system but for now it works very well.

Hi Vincent

Thanks for joining the "thread".
How often (if ever) do your students get a face to face lesson to supplement the on-line lessons?
How desirable is it to manage such sessions - say 1st lesson, periodic maintenance, reeds, instrument adjustments etc?

Nevllle

Neville Forsythe
Christchurch New Zealand
Bassoonist / Teacher / Conductor

I was teaching for a University in North Dakota just to get one student started. I was offering to make a "personal" apperance latter in the year, if the student continued. I had discussed this method of teaching with colleagues at the University of Manitoba. They had just concluded Master Classes with two members of the Chicago Symphony and it was deemed a big success. I am now trying to get a web site up to offer this to students in remote areas in Canada and the US. I would be offering mentoring, reed-making, audition coaching  as well as teaching.

Vince Ellin

All this sounds very interesting.  Keep us informed on progress on this website.  I'm sure there are lots of people (like myself) in remote areas who would be interested in such a program.