Topic: Buying a new EH - These posts originally appeared on the IDRS OnLine.

Date: January 28, 2006 7:52:55 AM MST
To: idrs-l@lists.colorado.edu
Subject: Re: Buying a new EH
Reply-To: idrs-l@lists.colorado.edu

This is certainly peculiar.  But my experience with Fox English Horns is that they play brilliantly - wonderful response, a clear and crisp high register and good intonation.  Maybe it was the model.  It is unusual because usually Fox instruments play identically with each other - unlike Lorees.  Quite frankly if I felt I needed a 2nd instrument I would buya Fox 550.

S. Blake Duncan, WiZARDS!

Bradley University

Date: January 28, 2006 7:30:55 AM MST
To: <idrs-l@lists.colorado.edu>

Which Fox (or Renard) model do you have?--there are several.

If you are having that much trouble with it, maybe you should send it back to Fox and let them "get it right".
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 9:06 AM

My issues with our Fox are:
1. general note-to-note intonation very poor
2. response in low register very poor
3. CANNOT play above high A without cracking- high C does not really exist.

We have tried numerous bocals and do use a Laubin #2.  We have had the instrument worked on by the best repairmen in the country.

CB

Date: January 28, 2006 7:06:27 AM MST

My issues with our Fox are:
1. general note-to-note intonation very poor
2. response in low register very poor
3. CANNOT play above high A without cracking- high C does not really exist.

We have tried numerous bocals and do use a Laubin #2.  We have had the instrument worked on by the best repairmen in the country.

CB

Date: January 28, 2006 1:40:49 AM MST
To: <idrs-l@lists.colorado.edu>

Since moving to Europe 6 years ago, I find it interesting how Loree and Laubin have the market tied up in America.  Please don't rule out outstanding European instruments in your search.  I see that Howarth is getting their foot in the door in the U.S., but Rigoutat, Fossati, and Marigaux make excellent instruments as well.

Cindy Swanson
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 6:24 AM

I have a Loree ( I use a Hiniker bocal on my Loree) and a Marigaux EH. I think that my Marigaux is as good as my Loree and would suggest that you give one a try.
JTC

Date: January 27, 2006 10:24:37 PM MST

I have a Loree ( I use a Hiniker bocal on my Loree) and a Marigaux EH. I think that my Marigaux is as good as my Loree and would suggest that you give one a try.
JTC

Date: January 27, 2006 10:21:40 PM MST

I have not heard anyone so disappointed with their Fox. What do you not like about it? And in hindsight, what do you wished you had purchased?

Patty Milsted

On Jan 27, 2006, at 10:43 PM, Priebekoff@aol.com wrote:

Our school purchased a new Fox and we HATE it.
CB

Date: January 27, 2006 9:43:38 PM MST

Our school purchased a new Fox and we HATE it.
CB
Begin forwarded message:

Date: January 27, 2006 9:16:50 PM MST

I own and play on a two year old Loree EH. However, after playing the Howarth EH's at Midwest Clinic in Chicago right before the holidays, I would HIGHLY recommend one give these horns a try. The Howarth instruments, I'm told, have been slightly adjusted to match American tastes. the Oboes are fantastic as well. If I had to do it again, I would probably buy the Howarth -- smooth, responsive, and their own unique character. :-)

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Oboe Faculty, Wind Quintet, Chamber Music Coach -- Westminster College
Associate Director of Bands -- Liberty Local Schools

Date: January 27, 2006 7:44:03 PM MST

Hi all – No one has mentioned the Fox English Horns.  I think these are wonderful instruments, especially for the price.  Lorees and Laubins are wonderful (I play on a Laubin) - but the cost is high.  For the money I think the Fox EH’s are great instruments and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.  Just don’t be in a hurry to get it....
S. Blake Duncan, WiZARDS!
Bradley University

On 1/27/06 2:21 PM, "Carolee Bowen" <cbowen@youngmusicians.net> wrote:

Hello-

My orchestra is going to purchase a new English horn in the $4000-$6000 range.  It is up to me to do the research.  I would welcome your opinion on which model, and where to buy (or what/where to stay away from!).

Carolee Bowen

Date: January 27, 2006 7:01:45 PM MST

Our school purchased one of the student line Foxes and we have been extremely happy with it.

Patty Milsted

On Jan 27, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Carolee Bowen wrote:

Hello-

My orchestra is going to purchase a new English horn in the $4000-$6000 range.  It is up to me to do the research.  I would welcome your opinion on which model, and where to buy (or what/where to stay away from!).

Carolee Bowen

Date: January 27, 2006 5:56:43 PM MST
To: <scott.brodie@mssm.edu>, <idrs-l@lists.colorado.edu>

I would rec a used Loreé Royale EH, if you can find one. I don't know how many are around-not many-in my experience.  I agree with the comment on the Laubin-they have a special mellow sound, but simply aren't available.  At the Thomas Stacy camp each year I am priveleged to hear (and record) various  performers on different E. Horns-the regular Loreés  are quite good too. The bocal is almost as important, and must be matched with the instrument through trial and error,
in my case a Lickman #2.
At the lower range of your price range is a new Howarth student model,  quite sturdy and more responsive than many.
Ron Bowers
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 5:15 PM

Carolee --

Though English Horns seem to have made a great deal of progress in design and consistency in recent years, there still seems to be a great deal of variation from instrument to instrument of the very same make and series -- much more than for oboes. So it is all the more important to "try before you buy." The magical and mysterious effect of different bocals throws yet another source of variation into the mix, especially given that many players often find third-party bocals far superior to those supplied by the instrument manufacturers (especially Loree!).
    That said, if you happen upon a Laubin EH, buy it. (Not much chance of that!) Otherwise, I am again inclined to paraphrase   the recent BMW commercial:

[Many feel that] A used Loree plays better than a new anything-else. (At least if you find a good one! You should be able to find many possibilities in your price range.)

It should also be mentioned that many feel that English Horns are much less susceptible to "blowing out" with age than oboes...

Good Luck!

-- Scott.
Scott Brodie
New York
scott.brodie@mssm.edu

Carolee Bowen wrote:
Hello-

Carolee Bowen

Date: January 27, 2006 3:15:34 PM MST
Reply-To: scott.brodie@mssm.edu

Carolee --

Though English Horns seem to have made a great deal of progress in design and consistency in recent years, there still seems to be a great deal of variation from instrument to instrument of the very same make and series -- much more than for oboes. So it is all the more important to "try before you buy." The magical and mysterious effect of different bocals throws yet another source of variation into the mix, especially given that many players often find third-party bocals far superior to those supplied by the instrument manufacturers (especially Loree!).
    That said, if you happen upon a Laubin EH, buy it. (Not much chance of that!) Otherwise, I am again inclined to paraphrase the recent BMW commercial:

[Many feel that] A used Loree plays better than a new anything-else. (At least if you find a good one! You should be able to find many possibilities in your price range.)

It should also be mentioned that many feel that English Horns are much less susceptible to "blowing out" with age than oboes...

Good Luck!

-- Scott.
Scott Brodie
New York
scott.brodie@mssm.edu

Carolee Bowen wrote:
Hello-

Carolee Bowen

Date: January 27, 2006 1:21:00 PM MST
To: "Forum for Members of IDRS" <idrs-l@lists.colorado.edu>
Subject: Buying a new EH

Hello-

Carolee Bowen

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, University of Colorado at Boulder, College of Music
Editor, IDRS OnLine Publications

Re: Buying a new EH - These posts originally appeared on the IDRS OnLine.

My first English horn purchase was a VERY early vintage Fox English horn Model 500 which I bought for two reasons: it was the only horn I could afford, and it was domestic.  The second criterion became especially important as Fox WANTS to track the horn and is concerned about its success or lack thereof. 

From the start there was absolutely no problem with regulation -- it was so perfectly regulated that it had no problem playing any interval.  It also had a gorgeous sound.  There were problems with the intonation of some notes, so I sent it back to Fox after a year for a thorough check, especially since there were several subsequent modifications made.  And guess what?  They rebuilt the entire instrument (new wood on all three joints) just to bring it up to current standard.  It continues its fine playing to this day.