Topic: Joshua +2 shaper tip

I've ordered one of the Joshua +2 shapers from Adam's tips.  I'll be using it in conjunction with 47mm Chudnow "S" staples (a larger bore than Loree staples).  .60/.45 gouge.  Just wondering if anyone has experience with this particular combination (on a Loree "ak" oboe), and might be able to offer some advice on tie length, etc.  I'm switching from a ten-year-old Jeanne "X" tip (no longer in production), which is now missing an ear sad.  I was tying at a long 73.5 with this tip, and finishing up at around 70-70.5.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jonathan Marzluf
Owner, Marzluf Reeds
SoCal Freelancer/Educator
www.marzlufreeds.com

Re: Joshua +2 shaper tip

Jonathan,
sorry for the long delay to your post -- Not happy about having to use this forum as I like the email list better. So, needless to say this is my first reply to the forum.

I use nearly the same setup you are talking of. Joshua +2 with Chudnow Staples. Sometimes I do use the Sierra Staples as well.

I tie between 72.5 and 73 with great success. During the winter months if I decide I want a little larger opening, I tend to go to the shorter tie length.

Hope it helps
Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)