Topic: Microplanes...Have they a use in reedmaking?

[I'm a raw recruit to double reeds (although not single reeds) so if my question is stupid, childish, off the wall, or otherwise unworthy of consideration, please don't be too critical. Actually I've found over my extended lifetime that crazy ideas sometimes find a permanent and valuable place in the relevant scheme of things! :-) :-) And so, on to my question. ]

Would a microplane work as a reed scraper?

If you're not familiar with these, they're flat pieces of thin, high quality, sheet steel with many small raised cutting surfaces in various grades from course to fine. The latter are often used to do very delicate detail work on wood. They produce very thin shavings and are easy to control.

One considerable advantage of a microplane is, it never needs sharpening. If one wears out, and I've never faced this in woodworking, you just throw it away and get another one. Quite inexpensive.

But cane and grass are not wood! Maybe there'd be a problem there.

Fred Sterns [Maryland]

Re: Microplanes...Have they a use in reedmaking?

I don't think it would work very well. A microplane takes off chunks that are far too big for reedmaking; the tip of the oboe reed is about as thin as one of those microplane shavings.  Plus it is too big to be controllable on a small obe reed where accuracy is essential.

On the other hand, they are great for grating garlic directly into your skillet!

Re: Microplanes...Have they a use in reedmaking?

You're no doubt correct, although I was thinking of the smaller "fine" model rather than the kitchen implement. However, that also may too big (6") to use on an oboe reed tip.

Appreciate your feedback and advice. I'll just go ahead and get a conventional reed knive and see if I can master it.