Topic: bassoon cane suppliers

Anyone know the story behind Glotin and Neuranter? Who owns who? They have the same contact information on their websites.

At the Glotin exhibit in Ithaca, they had both, but I didn't think to ask about the relationship between the two.

Same cane fields?

I've been using mostly Glotin cane for a long time and just got some Neuranter on eBay. It looks and feels a lot like Glotin. (Just profiled some today, no finished reeds yet.)

Just curious.

Harry Searing
Bassoon, Contrabassoon, Heckelphone
Faculty: Manhattan School of Music Precollege Division (NY), Montclair State University (NJ) &  CUNY (NY)
President, LRQ Publishing - featuring the bassoon music of Francisco Mignone

Re: bassoon cane suppliers

I don't have any concrete information, but I know that the Neuranter that I've tried I haven't liked as much as the Glotin (and that's not really saying much since I don't really like Glotin).

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

I really don't see any smilarity between the two...very different and to me neither are very warm and cuddley.

Gene Carter, Owner
Linden Reeds

Hi Harry and everyone else:

From what I gathered Pascal Neuranter is the owner of Neuranter and Glotin now. I can pretty much confirm that has been the case since the Austin Texas conference as I was sitting at a table with Mr Neuranter, and a double reed supplier that i work with occasionally. I am fairly sure though that the cane still comes from different plnatations. (Glotin-Glotin Fields, and Neuranter-wherever Neuranter originally gets his cane from) Mdm Danielle Glotin is still involved with the business but I am not sure as to how she still is. I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
                                                          Chad

Taylor Bassoon Services
723 Steamboat Ct
Ottawa, IL 61350
PH-815-343-2492

Hi Harry,

My personal preference for cane is from Reeds Australia. The last time I checked their website they had started selling gouged cane in addition to the tube cane which had been the only previous option.
www.reedsaus.com.au
   Best, Charles McCracken