Re: Collar or no collar? What do YOU do?

Well, this has sort of petered out rather quickly, much to my dismay! About a week and only 16 responses.

But many thanks to those who did participate. I liked the exchange of ideas and results. Very interesting.

I thought it would solicit a few more responses, especially when I look at how many times this topic has been viewed. I'm sure that not all of those views are by unique individuals probably, but I thought I would have had more actual responses than the 16 I count. Any way, here are the unscientific results:

Yes, I use a collar: 11

No, I don't use a collar: 3

I do or I've done both: 2 (one of them is me, I used to make a collar but don't anymore. If anyone is really interested in what I've found, I'll start a new topic.)

Tell your double reed playing friends about this Forum. I think it can be a really useful and valuable tool to both students and teachers alike, but we need more participation.

What do we need to do? Give away toasters or TVs?

Harry Searing
Bassoon, Contrabassoon, Heckelphone
Faculty: Manhattan School of Music Precollege Division (NY), Montclair State University (NJ) &  CUNY (NY)
President, LRQ Publishing - featuring the bassoon music of Francisco Mignone

I use a collar.

How about 7000 series Heckels?

David Bell
Alexandria, VA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

See post Reed shape and taper.

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, University of Colorado at Boulder, College of Music
Editor, IDRS OnLine Publications

Today, I took the liberty of forwarding this very interesting thread about "Collar - no Collar" to a few bassoonists in my E-mail address book. Below is a copy/paste reply to this topic from Frank Morelli:

Dear Marsha and Da Hah,

I do not use a collar. That is the way I was taught by Stephen Maxym. Also, first wire is on "bark" immediately behind the scraped blade, ie no unscraped area between wire and blade. Some wood does get scraped off in the process of finishing, but almost never on the spine. Thus there is nearly always a ramp directly up into the tube. (Sorry for the long "yes" answer.)

PS I have repeatedly had trouble getting into the IDRS website and these forums, so best regards to all.

Sincerely,
Frank Morelli

www.morellibassoon.com
Windscape
Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
Faculty: The Juilliard School
Yale School of Music
Manhattan School of Music
SUNY Stony Brook

"Collar - no Collar" reply from Chris Weait: 

The responses to your question may be confusing the collar with the ledge. I learned that the collar is the small amount of bark (dermis) between the blade wire and the ledge. The ledge is the sharp drop-off of the bark that begins the blade area. It is possible to make a reed with or without a collar and with or without a ledge.

Chris Weait

I've recently been elected Orchestra Committee Chair, so I've neglected my IDRS duties for a bit-- just came across this thread.

When I was in school, when I was studying with VanHoesen, I used a collar. Then I went to Cleveland and studied with Goslee, who used a very large reed with no collar, so I switched to that style.

I bought one of the early Herzberg profilers (I think it was #14- after he refurbished it the number stickers were removed) and switched back to the collar.

I also studied with Skinner.

I'd agree, that the best reed is the one that is comfortable for the player.

It's also true that there are almost an infinite number of ways to make a reed.

The most practical help I've ever gotten from a reed book is the Eubanks method. I use the first four tests only.

Here's a couple of links to some pix of my reeds (couldn't get them to display- maybe it doesn't work for flickr)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arundonax/1649392008

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arundonax/1649392562

I'll take some close-ups and post them next time I've got more than five minutes to myself....

Paul Barrett
   -Principal Bassoonist, Honolulu Symphony
    -Lecturer in Bassoon, University of Hawaii