Topic: Who uses ready to play reeds?

In line with the topic of "What do you use?" there must be a few of us who buy ready to play reeds instead of making our own. I'm sure that to get the "perfect" reed for one's self, it is best to make one's own reeds. However, there are those of us who don't have the time, skills or whatever, who must rely on others to produce our reeds. Whose reeds have you found to be best for you? Most ready to play without a lot of tweaking, most consistant, etc.

Dave Voyles

Re: Who uses ready to play reeds?

I hesitate to be the first one to answer this query, although others have admitted to buying ready-made reeds on other sections of this forum. I do not consider gsp blanks as ready-to-play, and certainly I would not have my students(or myself ) buy them as such.

Through more than 40 years of medical training and practice, I had no time to make my own reeds (even from blanks), and so have played on reeds from Nielsen Woodwinds for virtually all those years. I recommend them for my students, and instruct them in the techniques of adjusting the various varieties Nielsen sells. AND -- I use them myself for all teaching, practice, and performance situations.

I don't think I'm alone in this situation, and would love to have others who play ready-made reeds comment on this thread.

Respectfully,

Bill Dawson

Dr. Bill Dawson, bassoonist and teacher
IDRS medical consultant
Past President, Performing Arts Medicine Assoc.
Author of "Fit as a Fiddle: The Musician's Guide to Playing Healthy"