Topic: socially acceptable reed

Greetings.  I am a new (but erstwhile) IDRS member from Stirling in Scotland. I would like to know the best way to modify a reed so that it will play in a subdued, quiet way. We have recently semi-retired (I am a dentist) to an apartment and although I don't think the sound rattles through the building (which, by the way, was built in 1830 and has really thick walls) I would still like to be able to play out and not make too much noise.
I don't make my own reeds.

Re: socially acceptable reed

You know the old expression "put a sock in it!"  Well, there is a mute currently being sold on eBay which purports to do the trick without changing the tone of your horn.  I have not tried it but if I were in an apt. I certainly would try that or something along those lines.

I would think this is a better option than modifying the reed.

Re: socially acceptable reed

Hi Crawford and welcome to the forum.  As you know, the bassoon isn't very loud to begin with compared to some other instruments.  When I lived in an apartment I played as loud as I needed to but during reasonable hours.  Not once did anyone complain and many said they could hear it but they liked it.  So you might find out if it is a problem first and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University