Topic: What's my gouge? concentric or ellipitical

I've only ever used ellipitical. Now I've got some Vandoren concentric. Before I start profiling I've been wondering if I shouldn't be using a slightly different profile. Afterall, the outer parts of the blade if kept at the same dimensions as used before with an ellipitical gouge, should be softer now. Right? So...

DISCUSS...

the concentric gouged basson cane versus ellipitical

What are their pros and cons.

Thanks!

Harry Searing
Bassoon, Contrabassoon, Heckelphone
Faculty: Manhattan School of Music Precollege Division (NY), Montclair State University (NJ) &  CUNY (NY)
President, LRQ Publishing - featuring the bassoon music of Francisco Mignone

Re: What's my gouge? concentric or ellipitical

You might want to check that up in the Skinner Book. Jim McKay goes into some detail about it. I've been using concentric gouged cane for years with some inside alterations of the guoge as well. The results are better intonation and a more vibrant reed for me than with eliptical cane. I can only speak for myself but thats my 2 cents.

Last edited by Vincent Ellin (2008-01-20 10:51:27)

A brief quote from the Skinner book on pages 9 to 10 ... "The gouge affects the sound of the reed because it determines the size of the air space inside the reed.  The eccentric gouge makes the dimension of the reed smaller inside in width than the concentric gouge.  There is consequently less depth in a reed made with the eccentric gouge.  The eccentric gouge, however, gives a harder outline (silhouette) to the sound.  The lows in a reed made with this gouge lie in a harder texture of the cane fiber due to the gouge being thinner on the sides...  With the concentric gouge, the lows are in the same texture of the cane as the highs, resulting in a more homogeneous sound."

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Just like with profiles, there are different types of eccentric gouges.  Some eccentric gouges I have seen taper to a very thin edge while others are hardly noticeable.  Mine is about .1 mm taper from the center to the side using 24mm diameter cane.   

Dale Clark
Clark Bassoon Reeds