Topic: Change of cane brand

If anyone can recommend some affordable (under US$35 per bundle of 10) GSP cane from a REPUTABLE dealer I would greatly appreciate it. I have been searching for a change of pace for some time.  I have had very good results with forrests rigotti GSP and previously was tentative to change because of the relative affordability of the rigotti cane.  However due to recent price hikes that have brought the price within range of the other brands I know of, I believe it is time to explore other options.

I recently had a rather interesting debacle involving some errant charges on my credit card which I discovered after I returned from overseas, and I am currently a bit paranoid about giving my information out over the internet except to sites displaying some sort of certification (Verisign, etc...) or sites that accept PayPal.

Thank you very much for all your help

Noriel D. Valdés
     Wayne Hills HS Bands (Seniors '08!)
          Double Reeds Section Leader
          Wind Ensemble - Principal Bassoonist

Re: Change of cane brand

I've had good results with the Charles brand (not the student variety) from Charles Double Reed Company (charlesmusic.com)  They don't have it up on their website at the moment so maybe they're sold out?  Not sure.  It's too bad because I need to order some more from them soon...

They get their cane in the Rigotti area, so it's very possible they're hit by this shortage you mention (I hadn't heard of this yet myself)

Last edited by Trent (2008-01-25 22:25:24)

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Yeah, from about early June to mid September 2007 Forrests was sold out of Rigotti GSP cane.  They sent me countless emails (in response to my countless orders =/) informing me that the product was backordered.  The only explanation I ever got as to why was one gentleman who chose to add to the standard email "We have alot of the cane on order, but we think it'll be September before we get any, since the French are all on vacation in August."  God knows, right?  Anyway, they seem to be in stock now, but their quality has declined somewhat...it's simply not the same cane i'm used to.  In addition they went from 24.25 a bundle to 28 and change...its not a big difference but now the difference between them and their competitors is pennies.  I'm just taking this as a sign that its time for a change of pace.

Last edited by btzmacin (2008-01-25 22:49:40)

Noriel D. Valdés

I get my cane from Bob Williams of Womble Williams Double Reeds.  He sells Argentine cane and I have found that it's a nice sounding cane.

"Music is a moral law.  It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything  It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful."  -- Plato

does the argentinian cane come GSP?  I don't have the equipment to do any of the preparations myself =/

Last edited by btzmacin (2008-01-26 16:51:54)

Noriel D. Valdés

Here is Bob Williams web site  http://www.womblewilliams.com/supplies.php  I see the price list is quite old so you may have to contact him.

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Bob Williams has cane that is g/s/p and it is very easy to work with.  It doesn't take much scraping and has a nice sound.  Check his website for prices (Kent Moore listed it above).

"Music is a moral law.  It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything  It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful."  -- Plato