Topic: reed splits when tied on to staple help please!

i just started to try to make my own reeds but when i tie the reed onto the staple, the reed's blades starts to split from the bottom up (from the bottom of the blades towards the fold at the top) is there a way to prevent this?

Re: reed splits when tied on to staple help please!

This does happen  now and then and you maybe tying them on too hard too quick, build the pressure gradually and make sure that your cane is soaked. You can remove the bark at both ends of the cane with some gentle scraping, this will allow the cane underneath the bark to flex a little more readily. Another trick is to heat your mandrel with a naked flame this will in turn heat the tube inside the staple and help mold the cane to the staple...this I gather is fairly standard practice in Germany but I don't know of anyone apart from a friend who was in the Berlin Philharmonic who does this but he swears by it...

I have had dozens of pieces of cane split...it happens, it maybe a bad batch, brittle for some reason...give it an extra few minutes soaking and go gently when you tie on...

Good luck

Kindest regards

Andrew

Last edited by A.U.K (2008-03-06 09:21:19)

Hi - If the cane splits from the bottom up (under the string winds, basically), it's seldom a problem. If the split extends above the string, that isn't too bad, either, unless the split is deep or it extends more than a few millimeters above the string. If this is a persistent issue, make sure that you are soaking the cane adequately before tying - about 20 minutes in warm water should be plenty.

Best of luck,
Martin

Martin Schuring
Professor of Oboe, Arizona State University
President, IDRS
http://www.public.asu.edu/~schuring/

thanks for responding, i'll try that next time when i'm tying on reeds