Topic: unmatched blades

Does anyone purposely make the upper blade of the oboe reed heavier with a shorter tip(not shorter blade).  This would go hand in hand with the concept that the upper blade has different function than the lower.  This perhaps would apply to people who  have more angle ...head to instrument..ie instrument more downward.  The reed position in the mouth would be more situated behind the top lip than symmetically centered in the oral cavity.  Any thoughts?

Re: unmatched blades

In my limited experience both blades should be as similar as possible...I have  very experienced reed making teachers  and they stress the importance of balance...I have never heard of the upper blade being specifically made differently from the lower.

Maybe someone else has had a different experience...

Kindest regards

Andrew

Re: unmatched blades

Though I do not intentionally make the blades different, inevitably they turn out to be somewhat different.   It appears that when I select which side of the reed to have on top, generally the thicker, and usually more curved (open), side on top performs better for me.  Along with being thicker, the tendency would be for the heart to be longer and/or start further towards the tip on that blade.