Topic: Fox model II

I have my eye on a few bassoons to  buy, and I was wondering which was better... Fox or Fox Renard.  The type I am considering buying is the  Fox model II, long bore.  Apparently has a nice "warm" and round tone.  Just wanted to see if anyone had any input on this.

Re: Fox model II

Fox bassoons are the pro models; Renard the 'amateur' ones - although pros do use them. They both are extremely well made & the Fox level of service is un-matched in my experience. All you can do is try various Renard models & a Fox ll & decide whether the extra money is worth spending.

Ian

Thanks for the input.  I did some deeper research and found out that the FoxII is quite nice.  I'm getting it for really really really reduced price smile

I just purchased a Fox Model II and am very very pleased with the rich sound and warmth.  Currently I am experimenting with different types of reeds.  The Fox factory matched it with a *CTX* 2 bocal.  I am trying Reiger #2 reeds right now that I make from blanks,  What type of reeds do others use?

I have been using a Fox Model II made in the late 80s for the last two years. It has a very warm sound.  I may not have the most nimble fingers around but I get compliments on my sound all the time.  I make my own reeds from Rigotti cane on a Fox 3 shape.

Rich Gordley

I played (and completed my Bachelor of Music) on a Puchner Jubilee bassoon, but I always had trouble keeping it in tune.

I ended up getting fed up with bassoon and sold the Puchner.  I then purchased a Fox Model II about 12 months later and love it.  Intonation is much less work and I have received lots of compliments on my sound.  I use a Heckel CC2 bocal with it. 

Please dont take this as a canning of Puchner.  I just found that bassoon wasnt for me.  The Fox, on the other hand, is a pleasure to play

Fox-Renard 240 vs Fox Model II:

I have had a Fox-Renard 240 for a number of years, and just purchased a late 1970's Fox Model II.  The difference in sound is very striking.  The Model II has much greater projection; in comparison, the 240, which I have always liked very much and felt was a "good" 240 (selected by Phil Kolker from several at the time of purchase), now sounds to me like I'm at the bottom of a well.  My current teacher, Terry Ewell, points out that this is true for me as an amateur, without the greatly developed wind power that professional players have. In contrast, when he plays the two, they both sound fantastic and the difference is much less.  The 240 has a more even scale and greater dynamic range, but overall, for my level of ability, the Model II results in a much bigger sound.