Topic: RSS feed?

An RSS feed would be very useful. Will you be setting one up?

Stacie Johnston

Re: RSS feed?

I'm using Bloglines, a blog reader/aggregator. One of the forums I keep up with provides an rss feed so that I am notified through Bloglines when there is a new post. I know you can also set up separate rss feeds for specific forum threads, so if it was set up that way I might select specific threads only (for example, I probably wouldn't be interested in the bassoon reed room since I play the oboe). I don't know how many IDRS members use this type of technology, but I've found it extremely useful in keeping up with all the new info on dozens of sites, such as all the web standards stuff that's published & discussed. It would be very convenient to handle this forum through a blog reader -- that's what I had in mind.

Stacie Johnston

Actually I would like to gauge the member's interest in this feature. Popular RSS News readers for mac are NewsFire and NetNewsWire with many browsers like Firefox and soon Safari adding this capability. How many people use news readers and would be interested in receiving feeds from the IDRS News/Upcoming events or this forum?

Last edited by saxtonrose (2005-02-08 21:58:36)

Associate Professor of Bassoon, University of North Carolina School of the Arts
Principal Bassoon, Winston-Salem Symphony
Bassoon, Zéphyros Winds
Associate Editor, IDRS.org

Does this forum's software have a poll function? That might make getting an answer to Saxton's question a bit easier than a bunch of individual posts. (I'd be interested in a news reader, I'm using Safari as a browser.)

Paul Barrett
   -Principal Bassoonist, Honolulu Symphony
    -Lecturer in Bassoon, University of Hawaii

There may be poll plug-ins for the forum software. I will look into it.

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, University of Colorado at Boulder, College of Music
Editor, IDRS OnLine Publications

All of the Yahoo & MSN groups have this feature, so I know it's possible. (Forgot to mention that in my earlier post.)

Paul Barrett
   -Principal Bassoonist, Honolulu Symphony
    -Lecturer in Bassoon, University of Hawaii

What will RSS & Bloglines do for me?

Ian

Ian W wrote:

Ian

Really Simple Syndication (RSS) and ATOM feeds provide news and content updates from websites in a very simple form. It's a mechanism to "syndicate" this content to those interested. You are able to read these this content with software, and even with some browsers.
For example, if you check a website everyday like NPR, Wired, a blog, or say....I don't know...the IDRS homepage for double reed news and upcoming events, you can have only the information in which you are interested come to you without every going to the website and seeing the ads. I use a small piece of software called Newsfire. It checks these feeds every 5 minutes and alerts me when one of the sites I've specified is updated. It gives me the headline, a bit of information about the new content, and in most cases the entire text of the article. I can then decide if I want to go to the actual website. It basically just makes reading news on the web really fast and easy.
Firefox, a great browser for Mac and Windows is able to check these feeds. Safari will soon have this capablity. Other RSS readers include NetNewsWire for Mac and Feedreader, RssReader and SharpReader for Windows. In all cases this software is very inexpensive or free.

Associate Professor of Bassoon, University of North Carolina School of the Arts
Principal Bassoon, Winston-Salem Symphony
Bassoon, Zéphyros Winds
Associate Editor, IDRS.org

Most of today's forums such as this allow the option to be notified (usually via email) when a response has been posted to your message or a new post has appeared in a designated section.  Is this an option that the admin can turn on?

Glenn West
Bassoonist, US Military Academy Band

Glenn West
West Point, NY
www.westdoublereed.com

Basonista wrote:

Most of today's forums such as this allow the option to be notified (usually via email)...

Never mind.  I see there is a subscribe feature in each topic area.

Glenn West
West Point, NY
www.westdoublereed.com

saxtonrose wrote:
Ian W wrote:

Ian

Really Simple Syndication (RSS) and ATOM feeds provide news and content updates from websites in a very simple form. It's a mechanism to "syndicate" this content to those interested. You are able to read these this content with software, and even with some browsers.
For example, if you check a website everyday like NPR, Wired, a blog, or say....I don't know...the IDRS homepage for double reed news and upcoming events, you can have only the information in which you are interested come to you without every going to the website and seeing the ads. I use a small piece of software called Newsfire. It checks these feeds every 5 minutes and alerts me when one of the sites I've specified is updated. It gives me the headline, a bit of information about the new content, and in most cases the entire text of the article. I can then decide if I want to go to the actual website. It basically just makes reading news on the web really fast and easy.
Firefox, a great browser for Mac and Windows is able to check these feeds. Safari will soon have this capablity. Other RSS readers include NetNewsWire for Mac and Feedreader, RssReader and SharpReader for Windows. In all cases this software is very inexpensive or free.

I use Bloglines (www.bloglines.com) for the PC. It's free and works well.

Stacie Johnston