|       
Arthur Weisberg on Vibrato….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Pedagogy Double Reed Vibrato Arthur Weisberg on Vibrato….

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dwight Manning 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Delmar Williams
    Participant

Thanks to Roger Soren for bringing this one to our attention!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raCETItMU_g

Dwight Manning
    Participant

“Despite Weisberg’s uncompromising personal preferences, a number of performers… have chosen not to accept diaphragm vibrato exclusively.”

https://www.academia.edu/1980355/Manning_D._1995_._Woodwind_Vibrato_from_the_Eighteenth_Century_to_the_Present._Performance_Practice_Review_8_1_67-72

BJBedont
    Participant

I find that my bassoon vibrato is similar to my vocal vibrato (minus engaging the vocal folds). I’m not sure that my diaphragm (an involuntary muscle) can move fast enough to produce the required frequency for a characteristic vibrato.

Trent Jacobs
    Participant
    BJBedont wrote:
    I find that my bassoon vibrato is similar to my vocal vibrato (minus engaging the vocal folds). I’m not sure that my diaphragm (an involuntary muscle) can move fast enough to produce the required frequency for a characteristic vibrato.

Well, considering the only thing a diaphragm can actually do is pull down to inflate the lungs, it’s physically impossible for that to be the muscle that you’re actually using. Your abdominal and chest muscles can squeeze air out faster, but as Dwight’s paper shows, we have medical imaging now that proves it’s not usually coming from the chest cavity at all anyway. We just don’t want to encourage tension in the throat area.

Dwight Manning
    Participant

Thank you, Trent. The role of the diaphragm in woodwind vibrato was clarified over 50 years ago.

“In 1963 Gärtner began experiments using
    electromyography to document electrochemical
    reaction of muscle groups in twelve performing
    flutists. A summary of results follows:
    1. Vibrato does not originate in the diaphragm
    as previously stated.
    2. Because of its manner of production,
    “diaphragm” vibrato should actually
    be referred to as “thoraco-abdominal”
    vibrato. The diaphragm is fixed in the
    sense of support. Alternation of tension
    and release of breath is brought about
    by a periodic compression and release
    of abdominal and thoracic muscles.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.