|       
Bassoon Identification – Kohlert?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Instruments and Tools The Instrument Shop Bassoon Identification – Kohlert?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Franz-Jürgen Dörsam 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

acameron56
    Participant

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the make of my bassoon. I bought the bassoon off of ebay several years ago, where the seller claimed that it to be a pre-WWII Kohlert, but when I received it, there was no identification anywhere, and it’s always bugged me that I don’t know the make definitively. I did a bit of research, and it does look like it could be a Kohlert, but it also looks like it could possibly be a Ernst Karl Riedl. Like I said, I can’t find any identifying markings on the Bassoon; I’ve looked under the boot cap, all around the bell joint, and just about everywhere I could think of. Any information anyone might be able to pass along would be much appreciated! The bass joint also originally had string joints that I had corked.

You can find pictures here:
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/151702642@N05/o12niS

Thanks!
    Andy

Nicholas Evans
    Participant

Schreiber

Hi,
    seeing the pic its very clearly a Kohlert, I own one with the same wood design and keywork. Schreiber never had tjis strong designed wood. I beleieve Kohlert wantet to copy a bit the Heckel design. The Kohlert bassoons where a serious alternative in his time of Heckel. I love to play mine, a wonderful instrument. Kohlert also produced a lot of instruments for other companies.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.