|       
Bassoon Identification – Kohlert?

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Instruments and Tools Instrument Questions Bassoon Identification – Kohlert?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    acameron56
    Participant

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the make of my bassoon. I bought the bassoon off of ebay several years ago, where the seller claimed that it to be a pre-WWII Kohlert, but when I received it, there was no identification anywhere, and it’s always bugged me that I don’t know the make definitively. I did a bit of research, and it does look like it could be a Kohlert, but it also looks like it could possibly be a Ernst Karl Riedl. Like I said, I can’t find any identifying markings on the Bassoon; I’ve looked under the boot cap, all around the bell joint, and just about everywhere I could think of. Any information anyone might be able to pass along would be much appreciated! The bass joint also originally had string joints that I had corked.

You can find pictures here:
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/151702642@N05/o12niS

Thanks!
    Andy

Nicholas Evans
    Participant

Schreiber

Hi,
    seeing the pic its very clearly a Kohlert, I own one with the same wood design and keywork. Schreiber never had tjis strong designed wood. I beleieve Kohlert wantet to copy a bit the Heckel design. The Kohlert bassoons where a serious alternative in his time of Heckel. I love to play mine, a wonderful instrument. Kohlert also produced a lot of instruments for other companies.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.