|       
Bassoonist John Shamlian Passes Away

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Announcements Double Reeds in the News Bassoonist John Shamlian Passes Away

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Laine Bryce.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thom Moore
    Participant

Retired Philadelphia Orchestra Bassoonist and renowned bassoon repair expert John Shamlian passed away on December 14th. This was confirmed today by the staff at borough hall in Haddonfield, New Jersey, Mr. Shamlian’s town. Apparently, he experienced a bad fall on Haddon Avenue, one of the main roads through Haddonfield, and succumbed about two weeks later from complications. His funeral or memorial service is being organized by Kain-Murphy Funeral Services in Haddonfield, and the service will be held on Saturday, January 12 at 11am at Grace Episcopal Church in Haddonfield.

Charles McCracken
    Participant

I am truly sorry to hear of Mr. Shamlian’s passing. My condolences and sympathy to his family. He was a great repairman and a kind soul. I so enjoyed my frequent visits with him. He will be greatly missed.
    Charles McCracken

Thom Moore
    Participant

Just a quick follow-up to the initial message, in the form of a confirmation from the funeral director (Gene Kain), that was sent today to bassoonist Laine Bryce:

“The service will be held, Saturday, January 12, 2008, 11AM, at Grace Episcopal Church, 19 E. Kings Hwy., Haddonfield, NJ 08033. Mr. Shamlian’s family will receive friends in the Church’s Fellowship Hall following the service.”

Laine Bryce
    Participant

Obit. in Philadelphia Inquirer

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/obituaries/20080106_John_V__Shamlian__86__orchestra_bassoonist.html

and at Kain-Murphy Funeral Services, current funerals–a slightly different obit.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Double Reeds in the News’ is closed to new topics and replies.