|       
Clicking sound driving me nuts! (Low C#/Db key)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Instruments and Tools Instrument Questions Clicking sound driving me nuts! (Low C#/Db key)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jesse Schartz 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jesse Schartz
    Participant

Hello Colleagues,
    Just had my Fox 660 bassoon annual maintenance done. One of the issues was my low C#/Db key makes a clicking noise when released. For example, I use this key when playing low E very softly to keep pitch down. Now when I slur up a step from this special low E… CLICK! When I got my bassoon back from service, it was fine. But just a week later it’s doing it again. The rod is not loose between the posts. I added a drop of key oil to all the friction points. Still clicks. ARGH!!! Anyone else ever have this problem or know how to fix permanently? Thanks in advance! …Jesse

Jesse Schartz
    Participant

Wow, this place is a ghost town. Anyway, I believe the problem is that the felt cushion is very old and compressed between the lever key (the key the pinky actually pushes) and the long key with the actual pad on it. Since the felt is so hard it’s really not dampening anything between the two metal pieces thus creating a clicking sound when everything springs back after releasing the key.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.