|       
Health of 19th-century orchestral wind musicians

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Health and Wellness Health and Wellness Health of 19th-century orchestral wind musicians

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dwight Manning 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Dwight Manning
    Participant

Ferling’s petition for a pension, dated Nov. 1, 1858, provides valuable information about his life and times. “I am 63 years old (recte 62); since 1814 I have been in local service; from 1814-1816 I took part in the military campaigns and since then I have been employed at 1st oboist in the Ducal court orchestra. I believe to have given full satisfaction throughout the time of my ser­vice, but feel no longer able to do so. Owing to my 44-year service as oboe player, my lungs are so seriously affected that I am no longer capable of blowing sustained tones, and in addition I fre­quently suffer from severe bouts of rheumatism which I caught in the performance of my duty at the theatre; this is one more reason for my inability to faithfully meet my obligations … ” At the beginning of the following year, Ferling was awarded a pension on full salary providing he would fill in as necessary.

Franz Wilhelm Ferling’s Life and Work. The Double Reed –Journal Issue, 24(2), 137-38. https://www.academia.edu/5836861/Franz_Wilhelm_Ferlings_Life_and_Work._The_Double_Reed_Journal_Issue_24_2_137-38

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.