|       
How to sterilize reeds?

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Health and Wellness Health and Wellness How to sterilize reeds?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Nancy Williams
    Participant

I think the ultrasonic cleaner works great on the reeds, I was able to revive reeds that I thought were goners, but my ultrasonic cleaners keep breaking. My first one lasted 7 months, and the second only lasted 7 weeks. I am not sure they are durable enough for daily use.

James Jeter
    Participant

Since I teach around 30 or more bassoon students at Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp every summer, I like to try the students’ reeds to see what they’re dealing with. My dentist gives me a prescription for chlorhexidine gluconate 0.12% oral rinse. This is the blue rinse that one uses at the dentist office. Apparently it’s excellent in killing ANY virus or germ. You mix it with a bit of water, and don’t leave the reed in the solution for very long. (Not good to gargle a lot with this, as it will stain your teeth!) This way, there’s no possibility of my or the students catching anything. Cheers, Jim

Nikkit
    Participant

Yes, Crispin’s Creations really does work well. I have bought it too.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.