|       
oboe chromatic fingerings -your opinion please

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Pedagogy Teaching – General: Solutions, Question, Tips oboe chromatic fingerings -your opinion please

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    oudblreeder
    Participant

I have several high school students who are preparing for district band auditions. Their chromatic requirement is from low C to third octave F, sixteenth notes at quarter equals 120. Some of them have previously learned the “short” fingerings for Eb, E and F either on their own or with other teachers, while students that I started learn the long fingerings. I remember having to work hard to unlearn the short and switch to the long in college and that- along with tone and intonation- is why I chose to start my students with the long. It is much more difficult to get these up to speed, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Do any other teachers have an opinion on this?

Rebecca Moore
    Participant

interesting query: I am facing the same challenge in current all state repertoire (very high).

Like you, I learned the long fingerings and the short, but find that most students I meet have learned only the short.
    My solution is if the short fingering in at pitch and helps the student achieve fluency in a difficult passage (Altissima E and F) , then I am all for it. However, if pitch or tone discrepancies exist, the student should musical make the choice to play the fingering that plays best. (D#)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Teaching – General: Solutions, Question, Tips’ is closed to new topics and replies.