|       
Oboe duet performed at ’99 IDRS — lots of trilling?

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Music and Media Double Reed Sheet Music Oboe duet performed at ’99 IDRS — lots of trilling?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    William Safford
    Participant

Hi folks —

Back in 1999, I attended the Madison IDRS. I remember attending an oboe recital, at which an oboe duet was performed. I can’t remember the name of the composer or the work, but I remember that a major structural element of the work was that the oboists trilled almost constantly. Many in the audience had a negative reaction to the work, but I liked it a lot.

By any chance can anyone identify the work in question from this admittedly-scant information? I know an oboist who found my description of the work intriguing, and would like to take a look at it.

Thanks!

Delmar Williams
    Participant

Hey Will,

Very nice to meet you at the convention. We’ll find this piece soon. I heard from Marc Fink, and he has the program book, but he’s out of town for a while and will let us know when he returns. Maybe someone else can ID it.

Delmar

William Safford
    Participant

Hi Delmar, nice to meet you as well, and thank you for making the inquiry on my behalf. There’s no rush.

Delmar Williams
    Participant

From Marc Fink

To the oboist who was asking about the piece performed at the Madison conference in 1999, I can provide the following information: The work was by Isang Yun (b. 1917), entitled Piece for Two Oboes.
    Movements: Triller, Glissandi, Vorschlaege, Harmonie, published by Bote et Bock, and performed by Michel Benet and Fabrice Melinon. It’s quite an outstanding piece exploiting some of the contemporary techniques of the instrument. Marc Fink, IDRS conference coordinator

William Safford
    Participant

Thanks, Delmar, and thanks, Marc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.