|       
Oboe rental advise needed.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Instruments and Tools Instrument Questions Oboe rental advise needed.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ildefonso Camargo 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ildefonso Camargo
    Participant

Hello,

I used to be an Oboist (probably still am :P), and I am looking at practicing again. It’s been like 20 years since I last played! Long story short, the oboe I had back in the day was on loan from the orchestra I used to play for (so, I didn’t have my own Oboe). I had to quit the orchestra because back then I had started college, and time didn’t allow me to do both things. I told myself: once an engineer, I will be able to buy an oboe of my own and go back to music… this hasn’t happened this far.

Now, 20 years later, I could finally buy one (woot!). As I have gone idle for 20 years, I thought it would be wise to first get some practice with a couple of oboes (rented ones) before trying to choose an oboe for the long term. Back in the day I used to love Lorée, even though most people I knew would swear for Marigaux, but I always felt the Marigaux “hard to play” so to speak (requiring more effort). Nowadays I read excellent things about Yamaha.

So, my questions are:

1. Where could/should I rent from? this is my first time ever renting an instrument, I have heard about Midwest Music Imports, but also heard of a place called Forrests Music. Do you know them or have experience with them?
    2. Should I go for a student model for a couple of months to get me “back in shape” and later rent a professional one? or should I go straight to the full-conservatory model, ie, the model I would probably buy to really get a feel of it?
    3. Is it true that Yamahas are great Oboes nowadays? or should I still be aiming at buying a Lorée Royal. Other models I should consider?

One more thing, I was considering taking this “getting back” time to teach my children at least the basis. This is a second reason to get a student model for a few months.

My timeline for buying an Oboe is probably by early 2019 or so. I am not in a hurry, for now this is a hobby. I do not discard the possibility of joining a group/orchestra, but that’s not a goal right now.

Thanks!

Ildefonso Camargo
    Participant

Hello,

Adding, I have also found “RDG woodwinds”, I am still investigating them… but any experience from you would be awesome.

Thanks!

Ildefonso

Ildefonso Camargo
    Participant

Ok, ended up renting a Loree Standard from RDG Woodwinds and a Selmer from Midwest Musical Imports. Got insurance from Clarion. So far, so good. Process went generally well, and was simple-enough.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.