|       
Oboe rental advise needed.

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Instruments and Tools Instrument Questions Oboe rental advise needed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ildefonso Camargo
    Participant

Hello,

I used to be an Oboist (probably still am :P), and I am looking at practicing again. It’s been like 20 years since I last played! Long story short, the oboe I had back in the day was on loan from the orchestra I used to play for (so, I didn’t have my own Oboe). I had to quit the orchestra because back then I had started college, and time didn’t allow me to do both things. I told myself: once an engineer, I will be able to buy an oboe of my own and go back to music… this hasn’t happened this far.

Now, 20 years later, I could finally buy one (woot!). As I have gone idle for 20 years, I thought it would be wise to first get some practice with a couple of oboes (rented ones) before trying to choose an oboe for the long term. Back in the day I used to love Lorée, even though most people I knew would swear for Marigaux, but I always felt the Marigaux “hard to play” so to speak (requiring more effort). Nowadays I read excellent things about Yamaha.

So, my questions are:

1. Where could/should I rent from? this is my first time ever renting an instrument, I have heard about Midwest Music Imports, but also heard of a place called Forrests Music. Do you know them or have experience with them?
    2. Should I go for a student model for a couple of months to get me “back in shape” and later rent a professional one? or should I go straight to the full-conservatory model, ie, the model I would probably buy to really get a feel of it?
    3. Is it true that Yamahas are great Oboes nowadays? or should I still be aiming at buying a Lorée Royal. Other models I should consider?

One more thing, I was considering taking this “getting back” time to teach my children at least the basis. This is a second reason to get a student model for a few months.

My timeline for buying an Oboe is probably by early 2019 or so. I am not in a hurry, for now this is a hobby. I do not discard the possibility of joining a group/orchestra, but that’s not a goal right now.

Thanks!

Ildefonso Camargo
    Participant

Hello,

Adding, I have also found “RDG woodwinds”, I am still investigating them… but any experience from you would be awesome.

Thanks!

Ildefonso

Ildefonso Camargo
    Participant

Ok, ended up renting a Loree Standard from RDG Woodwinds and a Selmer from Midwest Musical Imports. Got insurance from Clarion. So far, so good. Process went generally well, and was simple-enough.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.