|       
Study Material for an Advanced Adult Beginner on Oboe?

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Pedagogy Teaching – General: Solutions, Question, Tips Study Material for an Advanced Adult Beginner on Oboe?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Wai Kit Leung
    Participant

I have been approached by an adult beginner for lessons. He is an accomplished French horn player who wants to start the oboe.

What method book(s) would you recommend for teaching him? Gerkeler? Rubank? Barret? Any recommendation will be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Wai Kit Leung

Christopher Weait
    Participant

I recommend Mike Curtis’s New Millenium Bassoon Method published by Mss Publications. Excellent broad range of material. crw

Trent Jacobs
    Participant
    ChrisW wrote:
    I recommend Mike Curtis’s New Millenium Bassoon Method published by Mss Publications. Excellent broad range of material. crw

Interesting choice for an oboist. I would have gone with Weissenborn. ;-)

We really should encourage a tagging system so the subject lines always say “oboe” or “bassoon” or “general” for some of these more general forums, as I’ve made similar suggestions in the past on the wrong instrument.

Wai Kit Leung
    Participant

Sorry I should have put “oboe” in the subject line. Cannot add that now.

Christopher Weait
    Participant

I apologize for not reading the first sentence clearly! crw

Persephone
    Participant

You’ve certainly solved the problem by now, but here’s my 0.02. As a flute player learning oboe, I am working with my teacher using Gekeler and am also using Rubank on my own as a supplement. Rubank moves more slowly so thus offers supplemental exercises to reinforce. Barrett from the start may not be a good choice.

Oboe is so different! Going from woodwind to woodwind is challenging but there is more commonality than brass to woodwind. I have the utmost respect for your French hornist. How is the student’s progress so far?

Wai Kit Leung
    Participant

The horn player didn’t correspond to me after I replied to his initial email. Thanks for your input though!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Teaching – General: Solutions, Question, Tips’ is closed to new topics and replies.