2022 Commissioning Competition
To celebrate 50 years of the International Double Reed Society, the society created a commissioning project to add 50 new works for double reeds following the 50th Anniversary year.
Since IDRS was incorporated in 1971, commissioning has been a significant aspect of the Society’s mission. The goals of the 50 for 50 Commissioning Project is to celebrate IDRS at 50, to acknowledge that the society has an important and ongoing responsibility to broaden and deepen the diversity of voices in, and repertoire for, the double reed playing community and to promote a spirit of togetherness, artistic enrichment, and celebration for the project, the conference, and IDRS.
Application and Selection process
This competition calls for scores, from which a panel chooses two (2) composers to write one (1) new work each (one work for solo oboe and one work for solo bassoon).
Composers will use a submission form on IDRS.org. The online form will open on September 15, 2022 and will close on November 1, 2022.
The following materials will be required:
- One complete work using a double reed instrument(s):
- A PDF file of the score.
- A live or MIDI recording of the composition.
- Current resume listing composer’s professional qualifications and contact information (name, email address, phone number, physical mailing address, and website URL if applicable).
- Statement of pedagogical intent for new work (300 words max): How does your vision for a solo oboe or bassoon work interact with the competition’s goal of centering and introducing intermediate-plus level students to 21st century colors and extended techniques?
Note: Please remove any names or other identifying marks on your score or recordings. Scores or recordings with names or other identifying marks will not be considered.
The competition will be adjudicated in a two-round process, with the winners being selected by a diverse panel of composers and music professionals using a blind evaluation process.
The winners of this competition will be engaged to compose a new 7-10 minute work for solo oboe or solo bassoon and will submit it to IDRS by March 1, 2023
These works will be premiered at the 2023 IDRS Conference in Thailand, July 18-23, 2023. The IDRS Conference Artistic Committee will select the performers of these premiers.
Requirements for Commissioned Piece
Any composer is eligible except composers who are previous winners of the IDRS Commissioning Competition and composers on the IDRS Board of Directors, IDRS Staff, IDRS volunteers or members of the conference hosting team.
There is no entry fee for this competition.
- Submissions for competition: September 15 – November 1, 2022
- Announcement of prizewinners: December 15, 2022
- Submission of commissioned pieces: March 1, 2023
Each work will be premiered at the 2023 IDRS Conference in Thailand, July 18-23, 2023 and each winning composer will receive a $2,500 fee.