The International Double Reed Society (IDRS) is a member-based organization made up of professional double reed players, amateurs, hobbyists, university/college instructors, music teachers, institutions, instrument manufacturers, double reed product retailers, reed makers, and enthusiasts.
IDRS was established in December 1971 for the following purposes:
- To encourage the performance of double reed literature.
- To encourage the improvement of instruments, reeds, and related materials.
- To encourage the composition and arranging of music for double reeds.
- To act as a resource for performers.
- To assist teachers and students of double reed instruments to attain a high standard of performance.
- To encourage cooperation and an exchange of ideas between the music industry and the Society.
Membership in the IDRS is available without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin. Positions within the Society’s management, whether volunteer or compensated, are appointed based on merit and without regard to the candidates’ race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin.