Article Submission Guidelines
- Bassoon-Related Articles: email article as a Word document (.doc or .docx) to Ryan Romine at email@example.com
- Oboe-Related Articles: email article as a Word document (.doc or .docx) to Daniel Stolper at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Specific fonts and/or spacing are not required, as articles will be reformatted for printing.
- Endnotes are preferable to footnotes.
- There is no length limitation, though the editors may later request/suggest cuts.
- Thesis/document/treatise chapters should be adequately introduced and closed so as to stand alone as a journal article.
- Articles should include a short bio (2-4 sentences) of each author and, when possible, a high-resolution digital photograph of each author.
- Accompanying graphics/photographs should be the highest available resolution.
- Graphics/photographs may be embedded in the .doc or .docx file or emailed separately with appropriate captions and notes as to placement.
- Article submissions should be accompanied by an emailed cover letter stating that the material contained in your submission 1) is the author’s original work; 2) has not been previously published in its current form (IDRS does allow articles adapted from academic writing originally published by the originating university so long as that fact is made known); 3) is not currently under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- The cover letter should also include the author’s 1) email address; 2) mailing address; 3) phone number; and 4) name, title, and location as you would like it to appear in print.
- Confirmation of receipt will be sent via email.
- Quarterly deadlines are for consideration for print in that particular issue.
- However, authors are encouraged to submit their materials at any time.
- Submission of materials does not guarantee publication.
- Submission of materials by a quarterly deadline does not guarantee publication in that edition.
- The editors reserve the right to edit all articles for style, content, or space requirements.
- The Double Reed retains all copyright on articles published in the journal; however, upon request, authors may retain copyright and it will be so noted.
- To avoid redundancy, it is recommended that individuals planning to submit materials first do a search of relevant keywords in the archived journals at www.idrs.org.
- Submitted materials will not be returned.
Submission of Double Reed Event Reviews
- With the exception of major events, reviews of double reed days and music camps will be limited to two pages of print, including photographs.
- One journal page of print (excluding photos) is roughly equivalent to two double spaced pages of Word document print.
- Such reviews should be submitted as articles to the appropriate editors listed above.
Submission of Oboe and Bassoon News of Interest
- Email all News of Interest items (both oboe- and bassoon-related) to Jessica Warren at email@example.com
Submission of Recordings, Scores, Books, and DVDs for Review
- Bassoon Recordings (bassoon with orchestra or bassoon in chamber music) for Review: mail 1 copy (currently CD format only) to Harry Searing; 51 Dalebrook Road; Bloomfield, NJ 07003. Harry Searing can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bassoon Recordings (bassoon with keyboard) for Review: mail 1 copy (currently CD format only) to Marc Vallon; 301 Glacier Drive; Madison, WI 53705. Marc Vallon can be contacted via email at email@example.com.
- If a recording has a mix of instrumentations, it is left to the artist to use their best judgment when deciding which of the two reviewers should receive the disc.
- Oboe Recordings for Review: mail 1 copy (currently CD format only) to Boise State University, c/o Dr. Jeanne Belfy; 1910 University Drive, Boise, ID 83725
- Bassoon and Oboe Scores for Listing in “Recently Published Works”: to obtain a listing form, email Dan Lipori at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bassoon Books and DVDs for Review: send an inquiry to Ryan Romine at email@example.com. Please include the book’s title and a brief description.
- Oboe Books and DVDs for Review: send an inquiry to Daniel Stolper at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the book’s title and a brief description.
- Submitted materials will not be returned.
Issue 1 (Printed on March 1): deadline is January 1
Issue 2 (Printed on June 1): deadline is April 1
Issue 3 (Printed on September 1): deadline is July 1
Issue 4 (Printed on December 1): deadline is October 1
Advertisements in IDRS Publications
The International Double Reed Society sells advertising space in The Double Reed to individuals, institutions, and businesses for payment of the current advertising rates. The Society does not attempt to verify the accuracy or reliability of any advertising claims made herein, and thus the IDRS does not recommend or endorse any of the products, businesses, or services advertised in the advertising section. Please contact the IDRS Advertising Coordinator, Frank Swann, at email@example.com for advertising information (see inside front cover for mailing address and phone number).
When available, back-issues of The Double Reed are available for purchase. For price and mailing information, please contact the IDRS Archivist, Michael Burns, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Use of the IDRS Trademarks
The logo and the seal of the International Double Reed Society are the exclusive property of the Society and may not be reproduced or used without written permission. The Society will permit the use of logo or seal only if used in conjunction with an official application for membership in IDRS and not used in a manner that may give the casual reader the appearance of an endorsement by IDRS of the person, entity, or product associated with such reproduction. Prospective users must obtain permission in writing and submit a press proof of the proposed printed item in advance of publication. Please direct inquiries to IDRS At-Large (Business) executive committee member, Trevor Cramer, at email@example.com.