Article Submission Guidelines
- Please submit articles, news of interest, obituaries, and other items to be considered for print via the “Submit an Article or News to the Double Reed” button found at the top of this page.
- For questions concerning bassoon-related articles, email Ryan Romine at email@example.com.
- or questions concerning oboe-related articles, email Daniel Stolper at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Specific fonts and/or spacing are not required, as articles will be reformatted for printing.
- The preferred file format is .doc or .docx.
- Endnotes are preferable to footnotes.
- There is no length limitation, though the editors may later request/suggest cuts.
- Thesis/document/treatise chapters should be adequately introduced and closed so as to stand alone as a journal article.
- Articles should include the author’s name, location (city, state), a short bio (2-4 sentences), and, when possible, a high-resolution digital photograph of the author.
- Accompanying graphics/photographs should be the highest available resolution.
- When possible, graphics/photographs should be embedded in the .doc or .docx text file with appropriate captions and notes as to placement. For questions or help troubleshooting issues with graphics/photographs, please email the corresponding editor listed above.
- Article submissions should be accompanied by an emailed cover letter stating that the material contained in your submission 1) is the author’s original work; 2) has not been previously published in its current form (IDRS does allow articles adapted from academic writing originally published by the originating university so long as that fact is made known); 3) is not currently under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- Confirmation of receipt will be sent via email.
- Quarterly deadlines are for consideration for print in that particular issue.
- However, authors are encouraged to submit their materials at any time.
- Submission of materials does not guarantee publication.
- Submission of materials by a quarterly deadline does not guarantee publication in that edition.
- The editors reserve the right to edit all articles for style, content, or space requirements.
- To avoid redundancy, it is recommended that individuals planning to submit materials first do a search of relevant keywords in the archived journals at www.idrs.org.
Submission of Double Reed Event Reviews
- Reviews of double reed events (masterclasses, double reed days, etc.) should be submitted as articles via the online submission form found on the “Submit an Article or News to the Double Reed” button found at the top of this page.
- With the exception of major events, reviews of double reed events will be limited to two pages of print, including photographs. One journal page of print (excluding photos) is roughly equivalent to two double spaced pages of Word document print.
- For questions, email the corresponding editor listed above.
Submission of Oboe and Bassoon News of Interest
- Oboe and Bassoon news of interest (concerts, upcoming events, etc.) should be submitted as via the online submission form found on the “Submit an Article or News to the Double Reed” button found at the top of this page.
- For questions, email IDRS News of Interest Coordinator Jessica Warren at warren@idrs org.
Submission of Recordings, Scores, Books, and DVDs for Review
- Bassoon Recordings for Review: Inquire by sending an email to Ryan Romine at email@example.com.
- Oboe Recordings for Review: Inquire by sending an email to Dan Stolper at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bassoon and Oboe Scores for Listing in “Recently Published Works”: to obtain a listing form, email Dan Lipori at email@example.com.
- Bassoon Books and DVDs for Review: send an inquiry to Ryan Romine at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the book’s title and a brief description.
- Oboe Books and DVDs for Review: send an inquiry to Daniel Stolper at email@example.com. Please include the book’s title and a brief description.
- Submitted materials will not be returned.
Issue 1 (Printed on March 1): deadline is January 1
Issue 2 (Printed on June 1): deadline is April 1
Issue 3 (Printed on September 1): deadline is July 1
Issue 4 (Printed on December 1): deadline is October 1
Advertisements in IDRS Publications
The International Double Reed Society sells advertising space in The Double Reed to individuals, institutions, and businesses for payment of the current advertising rates. The Society does not attempt to verify the accuracy or reliability of any advertising claims made herein, and thus the IDRS does not recommend or endorse any of the products, businesses, or services advertised in the advertising section. Please contact the IDRS Advertising Coordinator, Frank Swann, at firstname.lastname@example.org for advertising information (see inside front cover for mailing address and phone number).
When available, back-issues of The Double Reed are available for purchase. For price and mailing information, please contact the IDRS Archivist, Michael Burns, at email@example.com.
The Use of the IDRS Trademarks
The logo and the seal of the International Double Reed Society are the exclusive property of the Society and may not be reproduced or used without written permission. The Society will permit the use of logo or seal only if used in conjunction with an official application for membership in IDRS and not used in a manner that may give the casual reader the appearance of an endorsement by IDRS of the person, entity, or product associated with such reproduction. Prospective users must obtain permission in writing and submit a press proof of the proposed printed item in advance of publication. Please direct inquiries to IDRS At-Large (Business) executive committee member, Trevor Cramer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright and Sharing
IDRS retains all copyright on articles published in the journal; however, if requested before publication, authors may retain copyright and it will be so noted Unauthorized sharing on websites or social media of content originally published in e Double Reed is prohibited is includes, but is not limited to, partial/full screenshots of published content, partial/full PDFs of published content, and links to electronic files or web pages containing published content Reprint/posting rights for print journals or academic websites may be obtained by contacting The Double Reed editors Articles published in The Double Reed may be read digitally by logging into idrs org You may download a PDF of the complete publication, but that PDF is for personal use only and may not be shared online or in any other public context.