The Fernand Gillet-Hugo Fox Competition (dedicated to the memory of the late master oboist and honorary member of the IDRS, Fernand Gillet, and to the memory of master bassoonist Hugo Fox, principal bassoonist of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra from 1922-1949) is for bassoonists and oboists who have not reached their 31st birthday by the date of the final round of the competition.
2021 Fernand Gillet-Hugo Fox Competition for Oboe Repertoire:
- Jean Coulthard
3 Nature Sketches from Japan for oboe and piano (Novello)
- William Grant Still
Incantation and Dance (Carl Fischer)
- Georg Philipp Telemann
Fantasia No. 3 in b minor (any edition) (all repeats)
- Antal Dorati
Duo Concertante for oboe and piano (Boosey & Hawkes)
- Scott McAllister
Grunge Concerto (Lydmusic)
2021 Gillet-Fox Oboe Contact:
Nermis Mieses, Chair
After careful consideration, for the 2021 IDRS Competitions (Norma Hooks Young Artist Competition for Bassoon and Fernand Gillet – Hugo Fox for Oboe) we have decided to eliminate the accompaniment component of the preliminary round.
To be considered, all application materials must be submitted on or before March 15, 2021.
All applicants and contestants shall perform from an edition of the published printed music. Performing from illegally printed copies of any form will immediately disqualify that contestant. Legal copyright for any composition shall be determined and enforced based on the copyright laws of the United States of America, regardless of place of purchase. The use of e-tablets will be allowed only when the contestant can show (by having the original music or a receipt of purchase thereof) that they have previously obtained the published printed music prior to scanning it into the tablet.
Congratulations to the finalists of the 2020 Fernand Gillet-Hugo Fox Bassoon Competition and the Norma Hooks Young Artist Oboe Competition.
Due to the recent cancellation of the 49th IDRS Conference in Iowa City, and after much deliberation, the IDRS Executive Committee has decided that the 2020 Fernand Gillet-Hugo Fox Competition and the Norma Hooks Young Artist Competition will not celebrate a final round. The 2020 IDRS Competition Finalists will be honored and invited to perform in the IDRS 2021 conference in Boulder, Colorado.
The 2020 Fernand Gillet-Hugo Fox Bassoon Competition finalists (in alphabetical order) are:
- Filipe Castro, Brazil, studies at the Haute école de Musique de Genève with Afonso Ventuieri
- Giovanni Epasto, Italy, studies at the Hochschule für Musik Freiburg with Diego Chenna
- Francesco Giussani, Italy, studies at the Musik Akademie Basel with Sergio Azzolini and is also second bassoon/contrabassoon with Philharmonisches Orchester Freiburg
- Szymon Michalik, Poland, Principal Bassoon of the Sinfonia Varsovia Orchestra and Guest Principal Bassoon of the Poznań Philharmonic Orchestra studied in Warsawa with Artur Kasperek and Mannheim with Ole Kristian Dahl
- Ben Roidl-Ward, USA, DMA candidate at Northwestern University studying with David McGill and is also second bassoon with Illinois Symphony and bassoon/contrabassoon with Civic Orchestra of Chicago
Preliminary Round Judges list for the Fernand Gillet – Hugo Fox Oboe Competition 2021
- Nora Cismondi, Suisse Romande Orchestra, Solo Oboe. Conservatoire supérieur de Paris, former teacher (France)
- Hengjian Fang, Central Conservatory of Music Beijing, Oboe Professor (China)
- Alex Klein, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Principal Oboe Emeritus. DePaul University, Adjunct Professor of Oboe (Brazil)
- Pauline Oostenrijk, Prins Claus Conservatoire, Professor of Oboe. SKVR Arts Center Rotterdam and VAK Arts Center Delft, Oboe Teacher (Netherlands)
- Titus Underwood, Nashville Symphony Orchestra, Principal Oboe (USA)