2023 IDRS Baroque Band Coordinators:
Geoffrey Burgess and Jeanine Krause
The IDRS Baroque Band brings ceremonial and festive flair in the form of a fanfare before evening concerts: an enriching experience for participants and listeners alike and an ongoing feature at IDRS conferences. The IDRS Baroque Band harkens back to the great wind bands of the 17th and 18th centuries. By bringing both solemnity and frivolity, it fosters joy and shared participatory experience for avocational and professional players of historic double reeds. The IDRS Band, officially established in 2022 to be an annual conference activity, Any IDRS member may join the IDRS Baroque Band.
A limited number of instruments will be available for loan from the coordinators or from vendors at the conference.
The Baroque Band will be playing four-part music for oboes in different sizes and bassoons. View the parts and scores here >>
The music will be accessible to players with all levels of experience, and it will also be a great opportunity to explore playing early double reeds for the first time. Anyone with their own 415 Baroque oboe, tenor oboe (oboe da caccia) or bassoon is welcome to join. There will be a limited number of instruments available for loan.
Wednesday 19 Jul 2023
- 10-11:50 IDRS Baroque Band Rehearsal 1
Friday 21 Jul 2023
- 10:00-11:50 IDRS Baroque Band Rehearsal 2
Saturday 22 Jul 2023
- Time/Location TBA IDRS Baroque Band Warm up
- Gala Pre-Concert Ceremonial Music (5-15 minutes)
- A “Baroque” instrument or copy pitched at A= 415Hz. A limited number of instruments will be available for loan during the conference.
- Participation in at least one rehearsal
- All participants must provide their own reed. Reeds will be available from vendors at the Exhibition.
- IDRS Membership and Conference registration is required. Register for the conference >>