|       
Bassoon & Marimba pieces

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Music and Media Double Reed Media on the Web Bassoon & Marimba pieces

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Wendy Bloom
    Participant

Have you played a bassoon & marimba piece?
    What was the name, composer, and publisher (if known)?
    Thanks,
    😎 Wendy B.

Kent Moore
    Participant

Hi Wendy:
    There is a piece by Paul Chihara called Branches for 2 Bassoons and Percussion that is a good work. Publisher is Protone Music. It has been many years since I have played it. Yoshi Ishikawa has an MP3 of it on the IDRS web site 1999 recordings that you can listen to. Have fun. Kent

Alexis Janners
    Participant

What a perfect topic!! My husband is a percussionist and I’m a bassoonist!!!!

We have a piece called Mirror Images for bassoon and marimba by Thomas Takaro. It is published by PER-MUS Publications. We actually got it from New England Sheet Music. You need another person to play it though, someone to take the mutes off the marimba (not enough time for the player to do so). It is very cool, uses a “helicopter” effect on the bassoon. It is about 11’30”.

Enjoy!!

Trevor Cramer
    Participant

There is also a piece by Gordon Stout “Duo Dance-Song” for Bassoon and Marimba and David Maslanka’s “Orpheus” for 2 Bassoons and Marimba.

TK DeWitt
    Participant

The Mozetich concerto is scored for Bassoon, Strings, and Marimba. Not sure if this is exactly what you’re looking for, but maybe there is a piano reduction available to replace the strings. I know there is a recording by Michael Sweeney on his “Mozart and Well Beyond” CD. Here’s a link to some more information on it:

http://www.michaelsweeney.com/Mozetich_Notes.htm

Jim Schaeffer
    Participant

Charles Wuorinen wrote an interesting piece, “Arabia Felix”, for bassoon, vibraphone, and a few other instruments. Not a marimba, but in the same family. I think his “Variations” for bassoon, harp, and tympani is also worthwhile.

Jim Schaeffer
    Executive Director
    Long Leaf Opera
    http://www.longleafopera.org

Greg A Steinke
    Participant

I have piece for Bassoon and Marimba called Memories of Chief Joseph. It is available through Gold Branch Music -www.goldbranchmusic.com. You can check there for sample score pages.

Greg Steinke
    oboist/composer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.