|       
Carmina Burana

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Music and Media Double Reed Sheet Music Carmina Burana

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dean Williams
    Participant

Hello, all. Being an amateur bassoonist of the rank variety, I am not ashamed to admit that I need a lot of time to prepare a concert. Our conductor has decided to perform the Carmina Burana, a decision with which I heartily agree, because this is one of the pieces on my bucket list. But it is quite long, and I would like to begin working on it as soon as possible. I realize that it is under copyright, and we will be renting it so Schott Music will be getting our pound of flesh, but I would like to begin practicing it sooner rather than later. So if there is anyone out there with the first, second and contra-bassoon parts, would it be possible for you to discreetly kinda sorta accidently drop them in my email box? My blood pressure would thank you very much.

Dean.

Dwight Manning
    Participant

Dean, I’ve had some success ordering individual instrumental parts of larger orchestral works from Kalmus Music (Boca Raton, Florida). Parts are not always listed in the online catalog but, depending on copyright restrictions, may be available by phone order–1-800-434-6340 in the US, 561-241-6340 from international locations.

You may also view the score online directly through the Schott website http://www.schott-music.com/shop/persons/featured/carl-orff/works/katur-2263323-vocal/.

-best wishes with that blood pressure!
    DM

Dean Williams
    Participant

I’ll try that, thanks. I also managed to find the score, and I’m using that now. It’s not nearly as bad as I thought.

Ian White
    Participant

The only bit to worry about is the 5 measures of solo for the 1st bassoon at the top of tenor clef in #12. Good luck if you are given that part! The rest is very straight forward.

William Safford
    Participant

Basically, practice low D a lot. And practice d minor scales and arpeggios. That’ll cover almost everything except the swan solo.

Many people don’t like Carmina Burana. I like it. Enjoy!

James Jeter
    Participant

Dean – I hope you have the chance to play the 1st part – that ‘roasting swan’ solo is one of my favorites! The most memorable performance (so far) of this piece was with the Long Island (NY) Masterworks Chorale. We were performing in a large hall (the Tilles Center) – when I started the solo on that high D, the audience started laughing! I didn’t know what to think – perhaps I’d overshot the D? Out of the corner of my eye, I spied the rather large tenor coming on, stage-right. His tux was covered with white feathers and as he slowly walked out, he was dropping these along the way! Just wish the conductor (or the tenor) had given me a heads-up about this. At any rate, prepare for any possibility for this wonderful roasting. Cheers, Jim

Dean Williams
    Participant

Looking at both the parts, it’s a tough choice. Both parts have great lines, although sometimes they are repeated ad infinitum, and the second bassoon definitely tunes the woodwinds in many of the movements. Tuning in my gang of merry amateurs is sometimes, well, problematic. My conductor is operating under the assumption that my tuning is better than most, an assumption that I will not disabuse him of, so chances are that I will play second. However I am reliable, and as in any orchestra, presence makes the heart grow fonder. So there is an equally good chance that I will play it by default… de fault that the other guys are absent. In the end, if I want it, I can probably get it just by asking… but before I ask, I have to get a reliable high D. For some reason, I think it might really help me in this particular piece.

Dean Williams
    Participant

Jim, I’m glad it was you and not me in that situation. If I had started the solo and people had started laughing, I would NOT have been happy. I guess the nerves of steel of my youth have become somewhat rubberized. I’d have calmed down quickly enough, but it must have been very disconcerting. At least the audience and the tenor enjoyed themselves. I hope you thanked them kindly for their wonderful gift of an unexpected adrenaline rush when it was over.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.