|       
College studio recruitment and retention

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Pedagogy Teaching – General: Solutions, Question, Tips College studio recruitment and retention

This topic contains 41 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Dwight Manning 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Christopher Weait
    Participant

In my opinion these are having a serious effect on all music recruitment – not just double reed recruitment: the ebbing of the latest “Baby Boom” (the candidate pool is receding); the recent recession has made people wary of careers in performing or teaching and there are too many post-secondary degree programs for potential music major to choose from.

Dwight Manning
    Participant

Kristie, your daughter is wise to plan ahead and make her intentions clear. Marching band requirements vary widely between districts and schools throughout the country, and those where it is required may make some concessions for a highly recruited oboist. For many double reeders, marching band season is a great opportunity to expand one’s musical skill set on another instrument or perhaps as a drum major. Those pre-med students who persevere may have the great opportunity of performing with one of the growing number of physicians orchestras or bands around the country after beginning their practice–a term applied to both music and medicine.

Best wishes and keep us posted,
    DM

Dwight Manning
    Participant

I’m glad to see this thread now has over 10,000 views since I proposed this line of inquiry in Feb. 2012. Its puzzling that the dialogue has been advanced by myself and only 11 other contributors. Please join us.

-looking forward to reading your comments,
    DM

beebejp
    Participant

The key for me during the past 29 years has been building relationships with potential students. My bassoon studio usually has 8-12 students, a few of whom might have scholarships averaging about $3000, and rarely are they acquired solely through a 15 minute audition. My institution has a three week comprehensive summer camp for high school students, and a “Student for a Day” program that is hugely successful. Today a potential music education student attended a music history class, played marimba in percussion methods, received a bassoon lesson, played in both the wind ensemble and the bassoon ensemble, met with the music education program coordinator, and the director of orchestras, and her smile at the end of the day said it all. She felt accepted and valued, and we assessed the potential “fit.” It takes a significant investment of faculty and staff time to do this, and some students are not recruitable for musical or academic reasons, but overall the payoff is well worth it. My institution is rather isolated; 90 minutes from population centers. It can be difficult for faculty to get off campus, but getting potential students to come to us, and making them feel valued, has been the most effective recruiting tool.

Dwight Manning
    Participant

Shawn
    Participant

One of my greatest success is the fact that in addition to being the college oboe professor. I a. Also a middle and high school band director. I maintain a large private studio and often times some of those students are feeders into my college program. For those that are not serving both positions in my area, the largest problem I see is that they often forget that recruiting begins way back in middle school. “Getting” those kids early and making lessons “fun” for them goes a long way! Both college jobs I have held have resulted in large studios as a result of the private studio feeding into the college studio. I also keep pretty close touch with MANY of the local HS and MS band directors.

Dwight Manning
    Participant

The subject of accountability is a big part of the current national discussion on education. Should college studio teachers be assessed according to the employment outcomes of their students? Should such data be publicly posted and become a significant factor in recruitment and retention?

-looking forward to reading your thoughts,
    DM

Dwight Manning
    Participant

WANTED: COLLEGE BASSOON PROFESSOR. Teach high school bassoonist; provide info on college admission and performing opportunities; discuss financial aid.

I had an engaging phone call earlier this week from Deanna, the mother of a high school bassoonist in Oklahoma, who described frustration around the mismatch between the pool of young bassoonists searching for college-level teachers and bassoon professors actively reaching out on the national level. She mentioned that few intra-state and inter-state college bassoon teachers seem to display an on-line presence and outreach efforts that attract the attention of her son and other high school bassoonists seeking opportunities.

This thread now has nearly 20,000 views over 4 years but very few respondents.

College bassoon professors–your thoughts?

-best wishes to those seeking a good fit,
    DM

Dwight Manning
    Participant

30,000 views now since 2012 but only 12 individual contributors. This is your invitation to reply.

Dwight Manning
    Participant

Slides from my presentation at the 2012 CMS Northeast Regional Conference prompted by this forum inquiry are now available at https://www.academia.edu/1981361/Manning_D._2012_March_._Recruitment_and_Retention_in_the_Applied_Studio_A_Survey_of_Practices._College_Music_Society_33rd_Northeast_Regional_Conference._Fredonia_NY

Happy recruiting to all,
    DM

Dwight Manning
    Participant

Dear colleagues, at long last, the research that began in 2012 with this Forum posting has come to fruition with the publication of Recruitment and Retention in the Applied Music Studio: A Critical Examination of Curricular and Institutional Demands in the College Music Symposium. Read the full article, online in the public domain at https://www.academia.edu/38859792/Recruitment_and_Retention_in_the_Applied_Music_Studio_A_Critical_Examination_of_Curricular_and_Institutional_Demands

Dwight Manning
    Participant

Dear colleagues, at long last, the research that began in 2012 with this Forum posting has come to fruition with the publication of Recruitment and Retention in the Applied Music Studio: A Critical Examination of Curricular and Institutional Demands in the College Music Symposium. Read the full article, online in the public domain at https://www.academia.edu/38859792/Recruitment_and_Retention_in_the_Applied_Music_Studio_A_Critical_Examination_of_Curricular_and_Institutional_Demands

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.