|       
Diagram re. where to scrape for middle register notes

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Reeds The Bassoon Reed Room Diagram re. where to scrape for middle register notes

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Peter Klein 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Peter Klein
    Participant

Some time back, someone posted a picture showing where to scrape on a bassoon reed to stabilize specific middle register notes in the flick register. I meant to print this out and didn’t, and now I can’t find it. Could someone kindly post a link to it or repost the diagram?

Thanks!
    —Peter

SSeguin
    Participant

I believe Mark Eubanks’s book on reed adjusting contains a chart like that. I believe most of them were located within the middle third of the reed, but it would be best to check that book as reference.

Peter Klein
    Participant

Right you are, SSeguin. I found a copy of “Advanced Reed Design & Testing Procedure for Bassoon” by Mark G. Eubanks, Arundo Research Company, Portland, OR 97208. See “Objective 3 Tuning Harmonics,” pp 14-16. The chart is Figure C on p. 14, in the 1993 edition I obtained. I believe the same information is in the 1991 edition, but not the first edition of 1986 or 1987.

The same chart appears on the cover of Mr. Eubanks’ newer book “Quick Guide to Bassoon Reed Tuning.” An image of that book cover is on his Web site:

Arundo Research Company

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.