|       
Gig stories

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Dean Williams
    Participant
    ecab wrote:
    At the end of the concert series, we all went to the plaza to drink Sangria and eat chorizo. At @ 2:00 a.m., the spaniards and I sarted singing Franky’s New York, New York. At the end of the night, @ 200 musicians from all over the world, in their best accents were singing along.

Best sign of brotherhood I’ve experienced in my life.

Happy bassooning,
    Eddie

Wish I had been there…
    I once had to do a marching band imitation with a bassoon… for Rememberance Day…. in November…. in Canada! (I’m sure you can already see where this one is headed!) I ended up marching holding my bassoon under my arm pointing straight out in front of me with my hands firmly stuck in my pockets. The temperature was hovering down around 3 degrees celsius, and I lost my ability to play anything at all less than halfway through “O Canada”. When we got back inside, a drummer hit the snare and the skin tore from end to end. At least the conductor had the decency to apologise to us.

The second was when I was in college. Just before a concert our band director gave a long heartfelt speech about professional behavior on a stage, and that whispering, moving, tapping feet, and particularly laughing were strictly prohibited. So we were up there, very professionally playing our hearts out until the piece ended and the sax quartet started to set up in front of us. They started playing, and right away, one of the sax players suffered certain technical difficulties. The player in question was known to sweat a lot, and his stand was set very low. Normally this was not a problem, but on this day, his bent over posture, combined with the heat of the hall and the excess sweat sent his glasses slowly but surely sliding down his nose. At one point, he was able to whip up his right hand and push his glasses back up, but they simply slid right back to the same place. I started giggling, but remembering my conductor’s stern warning, I decided that my shoes were suddenly very attractive, thus meriting a long detailed examination. This went on for a couple of seconds, and unable to resist any longer, I looked up just in time to see the glasses fall, the hand fly up to catch them, the sax fall and hit the music stand, and the music fall to the floor. Needless to say, by this time the entire band was roaring, and when our conductor came back out, he looked at us all… and could not stop laughing either.

Dean.

Tori
    Participant

i have a funny story of my friend….

it was jury time and he was really nervous so he was smoking a cig but he had his reed in his hand as well. When it was his turn he threw down the cig and stepped on it to put it out. He then realized he had threw down his reed and crushed it.

He then quit smoking.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.