|       
Looking for a great sharpening stone for my landwell reed knives

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Reeds The Oboe Reed Room Looking for a great sharpening stone for my landwell reed knives

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Greg Hulse
    Participant

Hello,

I have a landwell beveled and landwell double hollow ground knife. I have been using a dmt diamond stone fine to sharpen them. But it seems that it wears the knife down so fast.

Can someone recommend a fine/extra fine india oil stone or water stone and where I can get one. Maybe something like this as seen in this video.

https://youtu.be/28Ow3xP9i3g

Thanks for your help

Shawn
    Participant

Try a sharpening steel instead. I use them always! Use a diamond stone about once a month and the steel all other times. I think. MidwestMusicalImports has them.

martin bebb
    Participant

I use Hard Arkansas AC-13 stones.

Shawn
    Participant

I second the steel. I only use my diamond stones about once a month…steel is with me at all other times.

Yoshi Ishikawa
    Participant

The best knife sharpening system for any knife: http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-198418/

Christopher Brodersen
    Participant

The best, quickest, smartest way to sharpen IMO is to use a machine. Until you grind a fresh edge on your knife, you will be wasting precious time trying to remove material on a stone that is designed for–let’s face it–final honing.

This is the principal of sharpening all woodworking tools: planes, chisels, etc. First you grind, then you hone. Professional cabinetmakers and others who use these kinds of tools for a living don’t waste their time laboriously pushing a plane iron or chisel against a stone.

My preference is for the Tormek machines, either the T-4 or the T-8. Granted, these are expensive, but considering how much oboists and bassoonists spend on profiling and gouging machines, they’re just a drop in the bucket. With the Tormek and other waterstone machines, it’s a two-step process: first you grind on a slow-moving waterstone, then you buff the edge on a leather buffing wheel primed with a special compound. The resulting edge is superior to anything you can achieve by hand, IMO, and much faster.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.