|       
Looking for Mozart’s unknown aria ‘Mens sancta Deo’

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Music and Media Double Reed Sheet Music Looking for Mozart’s unknown aria ‘Mens sancta Deo’

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Saxton Rose
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’m desperately trying to track down the music for Mozart’s aria Mens sancta Deo. It has a lovely bassoon part. It was recorded by Karl-Otto Hartmann and soprano Helen Donath along with other ‘unknown arias for soprano and obligato instruments.’
    http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-Arias-Soprano-Obligato-Instruments/dp/B000004AIT

Here’s the aria:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8V5zOykSoI

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kent Moore
    Participant

Hi Saxton:

I am sorry I can’t help but I wanted to thank you for making me aware of this new Mozart piece. Nice to listen to new Mozart.

Christopher Weait
    Participant

Saxton, I have heard that Mozart’s manuscripts are available online from the Mozarteum in Salzburg, Austria. I do not know if there is a charge for them or not. Good luck with this quest! Best wishes, Chris

David A. Wells
    Participant

I was able to uncover a bit of information. It’s mostly bad news though, I’m afraid.

This aria is numbered K. Anh. C 3.31, and I think that at this point it’s classed with doubtful or spurious works. In any case, the Neue Mozart Augabe does not include it, so unfortunately it is not available via the Mozarteum’s site. I can find no published editions, but the manuscript resides in the Prague National Museum’s Czech Museum of Music. I think this is the catalog record for the manuscript: http://opac.nm.cz/opaccmh/zaznam.php?detail_num=14012. If you manage to convince someone there to send a scan or photocopy, I’d love to take a look, too!

Saxton Rose
    Participant

Just a follow up on this. Thanks to the help of many, especially Delmar, I received this music today from the Czech National Museum. It’s original manuscript so it might be some time before it’s in playable shape, but I’ll make it available to everyone when I do.

Delmar tracked down a friend in Prague who organized the library order to scan and send the music. Thanks also to Dave Wells for the lead. You guys rock.

Saxton Rose
    Participant

One more person to thank… oboist Marlen Vavrikova, who helped communicate with musicians in Prague. Thank you!

Delmar Williams
    Participant

A big thanks to Marlen….yes!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.