|       
oboe with SATB chorus

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Music and Media Double Reed Media on the Web oboe with SATB chorus

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Laura Pease
    Participant

Once again I am looking for music for SATB chorus with oboe or oboe and piano accompaniment. This time I can be a little more specific. We are looking for a piece that is flowing and smooth in nature–not so deeply religious that it cannot be easily performed by our high school choir. Difficulty is not really a problem, as our high school choir studies and performs on a regular basis music often done by mainly college and professional choirs.
    The genre for the performance is the national ACDA convention next March in Miami, FL. However, we need to make our decision in the next few weeks.
    If you have a score or a recording that I could peruse, my e-mail is laura@pease.net.
    I appreciate, as always, any help the list can give.

Laura Pease
    Arlington HS choir
    Arlington, TX
    oboe

laura@pease.net
    lpease@aisd.net

Susan Richter
    Participant

Laura,

There is a set of pieces by Cecil Effinger that are for oboe and chorus (unaccompanied otherwise, I believe). The set is called “Four Pastorales” and has movements “Noon”, “Basket”, “No Mark”, and I can’t remember the other one :). They are lovely, both the vocal lines and the oboe part. They are on the UIL prescribed music list, so should be easily available.

Cheers, – Susan

elizabeth hardin
    Participant

The other Effinger Pastorale is “Wood”. My edition of the work is Schirmer. The music was set to the poetry of Thomas Hornsby Ferril. Both Effinger and Ferril were distinguished Colorado artists. The only recording I have ever heard of the Four Pastorales was a tape which KVOD in Denver often played 20 years ago with David Abosch, oboe (principal of the Denver and later Colorado Symphony Orchestra) and a local chorus called the “Classic Chorale”.

chester

Patricia Emerson Mitchell
    Participant

You can hear No Mark if you go to this page. It’s a lovely work.

I’m also very fond of the Rutter Psalm 23 (The Lord is my Shepherd) for oboe, organ (or strings?) and SATB, but that may also have harp … I’m not certain. I’ve heard it done with piano and oboe.

Dwight Manning
    Participant

Laura, to follow up on the other fine replies you’ve received, the “Four Pastorales” by Effinger are published by G. Schirmer/Hal Leonard.

-best wishes,
    Dwight

Lynn Hansen
    Participant

I’m with Patty. The Lord is My Shepherd from the Rutter Requiem is stunningly beautiful and lays well on the oboe. I have played it numerous times with church and school choirs using organ, piano, organ and piano (the harp “sub”), small orchestra, or stg quartet. Also, it is well within the musical & technical abilities of most HS choirs. The only question would be if the school district allows that 23rd Psalm text.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.