|       
Reeds N Stuff Hardness Tester

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Reeds The Oboe Reed Room Reeds N Stuff Hardness Tester

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Connors 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Chris Connors
    Participant

Hi All,

I am thinking about purchasing one for my reed making. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, what numbers are you striving for? and Do you measure the pre-gouged piece of cane or gouged piece of cane? Any information is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Chris

Don Werdick
    Participant

Hi Chris,

I have used the Reeds n Stuff digital hardness tester personally and in my business, Supérieure Cane Processing, for several years and find it to be precise and an objective/consistent method to judge cane quality. I test pregouged cane (Reeds n Stuff pregouging machine) at about 0.80 to 1.00mm thickness (dried cane) and try to target a hardness reading of 0.10 to 0.12 (hard) … final gouge is 0.57-0.58 (final shape I use is RDG 1) and select/premium cane tubes from the French areas of Cogolin/Grimaud, Saint-Tropez, Bormes-les-Mimosas/Le Lavandon.

General hardness guide: Extremely hard* = 0.05-0.07; Very hard* = 0.08-0.09; Hard = 0.10-0.12; Medium = 0.13-0.16 (good flexibility & stability … some consider to be the professional standard); Soft = 0.17-0.20 (lighter in character & good for student reeds).

* Very dense/hard cane typically needs to be gouged thinner by .02 to .04mm than standard (ie .oboe: 0.56-0.58mm for hard vs 0.58-0.60mm for medium/medium hard oboe cane).

Best Regards,

Don Werdick
    Supérieure Cane Processing
    Since 1960
    Member: IDRS, American Federation of Musicians, IMSLP
    Email: oboemn.donw@gmail.com
    Web-site: http://www.oboemn.com

Chris Connors
    Participant

I have just been debating about if it is worth the money especially when trying to make my results more consistent. Thank you for all your information Don!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.