|       
Reeds N Stuff Hardness Tester

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Reeds The Oboe Reed Room Reeds N Stuff Hardness Tester

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Connors
    Participant

Hi All,

I am thinking about purchasing one for my reed making. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, what numbers are you striving for? and Do you measure the pre-gouged piece of cane or gouged piece of cane? Any information is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Chris

Don Werdick
    Participant

Hi Chris,

I have used the Reeds n Stuff digital hardness tester personally and in my business, Supérieure Cane Processing, for several years and find it to be precise and an objective/consistent method to judge cane quality. I test pregouged cane (Reeds n Stuff pregouging machine) at about 0.80 to 1.00mm thickness (dried cane) and try to target a hardness reading of 0.10 to 0.12 (hard) … final gouge is 0.57-0.58 (final shape I use is RDG 1) and select/premium cane tubes from the French areas of Cogolin/Grimaud, Saint-Tropez, Bormes-les-Mimosas/Le Lavandon.

General hardness guide: Extremely hard* = 0.05-0.07; Very hard* = 0.08-0.09; Hard = 0.10-0.12; Medium = 0.13-0.16 (good flexibility & stability … some consider to be the professional standard); Soft = 0.17-0.20 (lighter in character & good for student reeds).

* Very dense/hard cane typically needs to be gouged thinner by .02 to .04mm than standard (ie .oboe: 0.56-0.58mm for hard vs 0.58-0.60mm for medium/medium hard oboe cane).

Best Regards,

Don Werdick
    Supérieure Cane Processing
    Since 1960
    Member: IDRS, American Federation of Musicians, IMSLP
    Email: oboemn.donw@gmail.com
    Web-site: http://www.oboemn.com

Chris Connors
    Participant

I have just been debating about if it is worth the money especially when trying to make my results more consistent. Thank you for all your information Don!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.