|       
Scoring the bark prior to forming discovery

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Reeds The Bassoon Reed Room Scoring the bark prior to forming discovery

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Richard Chick 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Richard Chick
    Participant

This may be old news to many but somehow I have escaped the realization that the best way to score the bark of the cane prior to forming the but of a bassoon reed is not to cut with a knife blade but to scrape with a miniature triangular scraper. This is the way a woodworker would proceed to produce a bead or other such detail on a larger scale in a furniture application.
    In reedmaking it is desirable to maintain consistency as much as possible and the scraping operation helps by making it easier to control the cut depth and provide a clear visual indicator of the location. Also scraping follows the grain better than cutting with a scalpel-like blade which can easily cross-cut the cane. After coming to this conclusion I decided to modify a knife blade to make it suitable to the task and came up with the shape shown in one of the attachments. This worked well as a scraper but the small residual cutter was difficult to sharpen correctly.
    I decided to look for a suitable tool online and was initially attracted to a tool used to score cement board prior to snap-breaking it. The tool came in both carbide and carbon steel and the steel version could be reground if necessary to offer the correct scraping profile. I decided to drop in to my local Ace hardware to see if they carried such a tool. They did not but instead had something far more suitable. It is the Fletcher ScoreMate Plastic Cutter (05-111) which Ace sells for $8.59 and is likely in stock.
    I took photos but was unable to attach more than one to this post so I created a PDF document instead which is attached.
    As a P.S. comment, I have in the past used a thread tapping cutter which also works as a scraper. The difficulty with a tap is that it requires much more pressure to work properly. I believe that a well designed handle which allows the user to put good force at the proper location would make this work well.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.