|       
source of reed wire?

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Reeds The Bassoon Reed Room source of reed wire?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    srosensan
    Participant

I’ve been having trouble finding suitable wire to use making reeds. The 22 gauge annealed wire from the hardware store is not flexible enough. I hesitate to buy mail order unless I know that the wire will be usable. Where do some of you get your wire?

Kent Moore
    Participant

Hi srosensan,

Most use 22 gauge soft brass wire. Here is one pound of it which will last you a long time.

https://www.charlesmusic.com/cgi-bin/theo?action=product&product_number=5-7-302

Some prefer a heavier 21 gauge. You can find that here and also smaller spools if you don’t need a pound.

https://www.charlesmusic.com/cgi-bin/theo?action=category&main_category=Bassoon%20Reed%20Making&sub_category=Files%20and%20Wire

William Safford
    Participant

If you’re willing to buy by the pound, Malin Co. soft brass is good. (A pound is a LOT of wire.)

Any reputable double reed mail order firm should be able to supply you with good wire.

Kent Moore
    Participant

Yes, I used to get mine from Malin Co. as well. But unless their policy has changed, I recall there was a minimum order so I would order with several others and get a cheap pound that way.

Charles McCracken
    Participant

I just ordered, and received, 23 gauge Brass wire from Midwest Musical Imports.

srosensan
    Participant

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Steve Harriswangler
    Participant

I know this is super old, but this could be useful to somebody. Sometimes annealed wire just isn’t soft enough. What i do is cut about 30 bits of wire for reeds and heat them until orange hot with a cooks torch, then dunk it in water. There will be some scaling, but it will be super soft (annealed).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.