The Norma Hooks Young Artist Competition alternates each year between oboe and bassoon and is for players who have not reached their 22nd birthday by the date of the final round of the competition.
2021 Norma Hooks Young Artist Competition for Bassoon Repertoire:
- Eugène Bourdeau
Premier Solo – Entire Piece (any edition)
- Alyssa Morris
Mathematics – Movements 1 and 2: Geometry and Trigonometry (TrevCo)
- Johann Fasch
Sonata in C – Movements 1, 2, and 3 (any edition) (without repeats)
- Allen Gimbel
Sonatina – all movements (Subito Music)
2021 NHYAC Bassoon Contact:
Jennifer Auerbach, Chair
After careful consideration, for the 2021 IDRS Competitions (Norma Hooks Young Artist Competition for Bassoon and Fernand Gillet – Hugo Fox for Oboe) we have decided to eliminate the accompaniment component of the preliminary round.
To be considered, all application materials must be submitted on or before March 15, 2021.
All applicants and contestants shall perform from an edition of the published printed music. Performing from illegally printed copies of any form will immediately disqualify that contestant. Legal copyright for any composition shall be determined and enforced based on the copyright laws of the United States of America, regardless of place of purchase. The use of e-tablets will be allowed only when the contestant can show (by having the original music or a receipt of purchase thereof) that they have previously obtained the published printed music prior to scanning it into the tablet.
Congratulations to the finalists of the 2020 Fernand Gillet-Hugo Fox Bassoon Competition and the Norma Hooks Young Artist Oboe Competition.
Due to the recent cancellation of the 49th IDRS Conference in Iowa City, and after much deliberation, the IDRS Executive Committee has decided that the 2020 Fernand Gillet-Hugo Fox Competition and the Norma Hooks Young Artist Competition will not celebrate a final round. The 2020 IDRS Competition Finalists will be honored and invited to perform in the IDRS 2021 conference in Boulder, Colorado.
The 2020 Norma Hooks Young Artist Oboe Competition finalists (in alphabetical order) are:
- Yuening Ning, China, attends the Affiliated High School of China Central Academy of Music where he studies with Mr. Jin Jingchun
- Sophia Oehlers, USA, attends The University of Colorado, Boulder where she studies with Peter Cooper and Jason Lichtenwalter
- Biah Park, South Korea, attends the Korea National University of Arts where she studies with Ingo Goritzki and Ji-Won Yoon
Preliminary Round Judges list for the Norma Hooks Young Artist Bassoon Competition 2021
- Hans Agreda, Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra, Principal Contrabassoon. Zurich University of the Arts, Contrabassoon Teacher. (Switzerland)
- Gilbert Dejean, American Symphony Orchestra, 3rd Bassoon & Contrabassoon. Double Entendre Double Reed Ensemble, Member, Opera Saratoga, Principal Bassoon. (USA)
- Lorelei Dowling, Vienna Music and Arts Private University, Contrabassoon Professor, Graz University PPCM, Contemporary Bassoon Teacher. Lucerne Festival Academy, Bassoon Teacher. (Austria)