The Norma Hooks Young Artist Competition alternates each year between oboe and bassoon and is for players who have not reached their 22nd birthday by the date of the final round of the competition.
The 2019 Norma Hooks Young Artist competition is for bassoon and will take place July 14-18, 2019, at the University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida, USA. Entries for the 2019 competition will be accepted online from January 5 to March 15, 2019. Full competition information is available for download on the link below.
The Preliminary Round judges for 2019 Norma Hooks Young Artist Competition for Bassoon are:
- Gonzalo Brusco, Bassoon, Orquesta Sinfónica de Cordoba, Professor at Conservatorio Provincial Felix Garzón (Argentina)
- Maya Stone, Bassoon, Sphinx Orchestra and Rushes, Alabama (USA)
- Annette Winker, Bassoon, Pocket Orchestra and Offenburger Ensemble, Professor at Musikhochschule Freiburg (Germany)
The Final Round judges for 2019 Norma Hooks Young Artist Competition for Bassoon are:
- Andrea Merenzon, Bassoonist, Teatro Colón Philarmonic Orchestra, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Amy Pollard, Principal Bassoon, Atlanta Ballet Orchestra. Bassoon Professor, University of Georgia, USA
- Matthias Racz, Principal Bassoon Tonhalle Orchestra Zürich and Lucerne Festival Orchestra, Bassoon, Germany
The Norma Hooks Young Artist Bassoon finalists (in alphabetical order) are:
- Enrico Bassi, Italy. Studies at Conservatorio “A. Boito”, Parma, Italy with Luca Reverberi.
- Nicola Contini, Italy. Studies at Musikhochschule Freiburg with Professor Diego Chenna and Conservatorio di Música G. Verdi di Milano with Leonardo Dosso.
- Rachael Lee*, USA/Taiwan. Studies at Curtis Institute of Music with Daniel Matsukawa and studied with I-Hsiu Chen.
- Alternate: María Bernal Sandoval, Spain. Studies at Escuela Superior de Música Reina Sofía de Madrid with Gustavo Núñez.
* Not performing in Tampa