|       
Moldy reeds – how to fix them? And the reed case?

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Reeds The Bassoon Reed Room Moldy reeds – how to fix them? And the reed case?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #95111
    William Safford
    Participant

    Yup, I know that it’s best to keep them from getting moldy in the first place. But sometimes it happens.

    A few of my reeds (contra reeds, as it happens) picked up some surface mold while I was playing an out of town gig. They’re not all black and fuzzy, but they do have some black spots on them.

    Any thoughts of how to get rid of the mold, without damaging the reeds? In the long term I’ll replace the reeds, but in the short term I’d like to salvage them if possible.

    Also, what should I do about the reed case? It’s a wooden case with foam spacers for holding the reeds in place. I don’t want future reeds to be infected because I didn’t get rid of mold spores that may be lingering in the case.

    Any recommendations?

    I’ve already disinfected my soaking cups with a dilute bleach solution.

    Thanks, all.

    #115282
    Dean Williams
    Participant

    One word:

    Vodka.

    I soak my reeds in it every once in a while. I have not had any problems since.

    #115283
    Christopher Weait
    Participant

    I’m not sure how effective they are, but the small dehumidifiers that come in some pill containers might be useful for reducing or preventing mold.

    It is possible that the foam spacers might be harboring mold.

    #115284
    Christopher Weait
    Participant

    and it sounds like the reed case is too airtight.

    #115285
    Trent Jacobs
    Participant

    There was recently a thread about this in the Health & Wellness part of the forum.
    http://www.idrs.org/IDRSBBS/viewtopic.php?id=12750
    Must be summer humidity is causing some problems for people.

    #115286
    Stephane Levesque
    Participant
    Dean wrote:
    One word:

    Vodka.

    I soak my reeds in it every once in a while. I have not had any problems since.

    Great minds… : http://johnschroder.co.uk/js/?page_id=87

    Might be time for me to try this “reed box” option.

    Other than that, any reed case must be ventilated. If there are no holes then punch/drill some out.

    #115287
    William Safford
    Participant

    Thanks for the input, folks.

    I was in a damp environment on that trip. I left my reed case open each night, and the reeds still picked up some mold. Grrrr.

    I soaked my soaking cups (bassoon and contra) in a bleach solution. My onstage water bottle is soaking in bleach as I type this. I may treat my contra reed case with bleach solution as well. (I’ll first test a corner to make sure that the bleach doesn’t do any mischief.)

    How about the moldy spots on the reeds themselves? Will vodka help with that? I do not routinely keep vodka in the house, so I’ll have to buy some. (I’ll probably get a pretty good one, to serve to guests as well as for my reeds.) Or something else?

    I’m working on blanks, so soon this will be a moot point as far as the reeds are concerned. Even so, it would be nice to salvage these reeds.

    Thanks again.

    #115288
    Leigh Miller Munoz
    Participant

    If it helps – I wrote a page on reed care for my website. It covers what to do if they get moldy in addition how to prevent. Probably most everyone knows already – but feel free to share with your students.

    Leigh

    #115281
    vigderreeds@yahoo.com
    Participant

    i should think that the easiest solution of all is to bore a hole no more than 1/8′ in the reed case.

    #115289
    James Jeter
    Participant

    So strange – there were a couple of posts on this link regarding hydrogen peroxide (as opposed to using bleach) which are no longer here. I also posted a note about this – for the 2nd time in a few months, my post was somehow deleted. Don’t know what the glitch is…. Jim

    #115290
    Kent Moore
    Participant

    Hi Jim:

    There were problems with the forum that have been corrected now. There were other posts that were somehow deleted too and I think it was related to the problems.

    #115292
    Federico Sardi
    Participant

    Today I opened a box with lots of cane (G, GP and GPS cane) that I was storing. I found out that some of the pieces had some kind of fungal growth on the surface (see image), and they felt a bit “sticky”…just like everything feels (specially paper, books, etc.) when RH is about 100% (as it is often in where I live). I removed the mold with a few gentle strokes of fine sandpaper. The cane that was stored on ziploc bags (inside that same box) feels and looks normal…

    It’ll be good to dampen those moldy pieces with alcohol to stop microbe reproduction now that I “removed” the mold out of them?
    Where should I store those pieces?

    Thanks.

    #115293
    Federico Sardi
    Participant

    Today I opened a box with lots of cane (G, GP and GPS cane) that I was storing. I found out that some of the pieces had some kind of fungal growth on the surface (see image), and they felt a bit “sticky”…just like everything feels (specially paper, books, etc.) when RH is about 100% (as it is often in where I live). I removed the mold with a few gentle strokes of fine sandpaper. The cane that was stored on ziploc bags (inside that same box) feels and looks normal…

    It’ll be good to dampen those moldy pieces with alcohol to stop microbe reproduction now that I “removed” the mold out of them?
    Where should I store those pieces?

    Thanks.

    #115291
    Dean Williams
    Participant

    Rather than soaking them in water as you usually would, I would just soak them in vodka, then treat them normally. The vodka should kill off all of the mould.

    #115294
    Federico Sardi
    Participant

    Thanks Dean!

    I’m not planning on using them soon, at least not all of them (I’m storing almost one thousand pieces of cane). Do you suggest soaking them in vodka/alcohol, letting them dry and then store them again?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.