|       
Approaches to tone production and getting rid of the “student sound”

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Pedagogy Teaching – General: Solutions, Question, Tips Approaches to tone production and getting rid of the “student sound”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    dtharp301
    Participant

So I’m a high school student of Karen Pierson at Ohio State who plans to major in bassoon performance when I graduate high school and go off to college. I have been playing the bassoon for about two and a half years now and everything so far has been a blast. However, my teacher brought up my tone one day and it has been the bane of my existence ever since. While it has taken some time, I have a pretty solid foundation on voicings and air support, but in exchange for playing in tune, I have found that my tone has grown pretty bright and/or strained in order to keep the pitch up in the tenor register. I have begun doing Herzberg long tones and note formations regularly, so is this something that will just naturally darken my tone as I practice these long tones? I understand that these things take lots and lots of time, but I don’t know if there are any “super secret” tone exercises that I might not have picked up as of yet.

I also get a lot of tension in my throat whenever I try and do a high voicing, so any insight to that would be greatly appreciated :)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The forum ‘Teaching – General: Solutions, Question, Tips’ is closed to new topics and replies.