|       
Bassoon chirp–maintenance?

The IDRS Forum is an archived resource. Some boards will remain open for discussions. Visit the Marketplace to list items for sale, or the Community Events and Openings page to list and search job openings, community shared events, and educational openings. Visit the IDRS Fingering page to search and suggest fingerings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Instruments and Tools Instrument Questions Bassoon chirp–maintenance?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Susan Bawden
    Participant

I have a student who has a Fox 240. Just recently, she has been dealing with an annoying chirp when playing high Bb slurred down to F above the bass clef staff. I thought there was a leak, and found a sluggish F key pad cup– freed that. Chirp still there. I added a bit of dental floss around a loose wing tenon. Chirp still there. We tried different reeds, her other bocal, and my bocals. Chirp still there. When I play it, the chirp can be lessened but not destroyed by loosening my lips quite a bit, but pitch is not good, then. We have tried more air, less air, tighter embouchure, looser lips, etc. No change.

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, the closest repair tech that I trust is about 3 hours away, and this is a college student who needs the instrument now. Where should I look to help the poor beast of a bassoon? Just deal with it until the end of the school year?

rswbassoon
    Participant

This is a normal problem on bassoon, similar to “wolf” tones on a string instrument. The worst one is slurring from high Ab to the Eb below. Don’t know of a fingering that will help the Bb/F, maybe finger the Bb with the low E key in place of the low F key. Ab/Eb can be helped by finger the Ab with the F and Bb keys instead of the G key. A lighter reed will also help.

Good luck!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.