|       
Françaix L’horloge de Flore – arrangement for wind band?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Music and Media Double Reed Sheet Music Françaix L’horloge de Flore – arrangement for wind band?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ken Watson 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

dharuta
    Participant

I have been actively searching for a wind band arrangement of Jean Françaix’s oboe concerto L’horloge de Flore, and unfortunately have not had any luck. Does anyone know if such an arrangement exists, and if so, where I could find it?

Shawn
    Participant

I seem to remember doing the same search years ago and one obscure arrangement came up. However I don’t remember where or who it was by.

You might try checking with the major service bands in D.C. As they often have in house arrangers with unpublished arrangements of MANY concertos. If you have a connection with someone in in one of them, often they can get you a copy to borrow.

Delmar Williams
    Participant

The US Marine Band is playing this piece on their concert on Sunday Jan. 18th at 2pm in Alexandria, VA., so someone has definitely arranged it for wind ensemble. (They are webcasting some shows, but I don’t see any evidence of it with this show at this time.)

MOZART
    |
    Overture to
    The Magic Flute
    K. 620
    FRANÇAIX
    |
    L’Horloge de Flore (Flower Clock)
    (1959)
    Staff Sgt. Trevor Mowry, oboe soloist
    SCHOENBERG
    |
    Finding Rothko
    (2006)
    BEETHOVEN
    |
    Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Opus 6

The soloist is Trevor Mowry who plays oboe in the Marine Band.

The collection of music on this concert celebrates “colors” in music, from Jean Francaix’s musical interpretation of the flower clocks found in many famous gardens throughout the world to vivid sound impressions of the paintings of Mark Rothko from the talented American composer Adam Schoenberg. Added to the palette are two vibrant works by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Ludwig van Beethoven that are as “primary” to the classical repertoire as red, yellow, and blue.

Here is the location of the concert.
    http://www.nvcc.edu/alexandria/schlesingercenter/

Delmar Williams
    Participant

deleted

Shawn
    Participant

Most of the time with the military bands, they are in-house staff arrangers. They are typically not commercially available and hard to get. If you “know someone” you can sometimes obtain a copy.

Ken Watson
    Participant

My wind ensemble arrangement is now available at JW Pepper. It took 4 years to work through the approval process with the copyright owner of the original, Editions Transatlantiques, but I think it was worth it. The first performance was by Stephen Caplan and the University of Nevada at Las Vegas Wind Orchestra (a link to that recording is on the publisher’s site). See and hear it here.

Ken

Ken Watson
    Participant

Yes, Trevor Mowry did an outstanding job of it in January 2015. That was a fine concert. But it wasn’t a band arrangement; the Marine Band has a wonderful chamber orchestra, so this was with the original instrumentation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.