We are pleased to announce the finalists for the 2021 IDRS Norma Hooks Young Artist Competition for Bassoon and the Fernand Gillet- Hugo Fox Competition for Oboe.
The finalists of the 2021 Norma Hooks Young Artist Competition for Bassoon (in alphabetical order) are:
- Luis Marquez Teruel, Venezuela. Studies at The Curtis Institute of Music with Daniel Matsukawa.
- Kodai Miyazaki, Japan. Studies at Musik und Kunst Privatuniversität der Stadt Wien with Sophie Dervaux.
- Alexander Neubert, USA. Studies at Oberlin Conservatory of Music with Drew Pattison.
- Alternate: Kipras Mazeika, USA. Studies at Rice University with Benjamin Kamins.
The finalists of the 2021 Fernand Gillet- Hugo Fox Competition for Oboe (in alphabetical order) are:
- Benjamin Brogadir, USA. Studies at Colburn Conservatory of Music with Mingjia Liu.
- Sigurd Greve, Norway. Co-principal oboe of Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra. Studies at The Norwegian Academy of Music with Johannes Grosso. Private studies with Christoph Hartmann.
- Sooyoung Kim, South Korea. Studies at Colburn Conservatory of Music with Mingjia Liu.
- Emil Miroslavskii, Russia. Principal oboe, Moscow State Symphony Orchestra.
- Melanie Rothman, United Kingdom. Solo oboe of the Hessen State Theatre Orchestra, Wiesbaden, Germany. Studies at the Staatliche Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst Stuttgart with Christian Schmitt.
- Alternate: Gioele Coco, Italy. Oboe section, Ruse Opera State Bulgaria.
The International Double Reed Society wishes to extend the utmost gratitude to the First Round judges for the Norma Hooks Young Artist competition: Hans Agreda, Gilbert Dejean and Lorelei Dowling and to the First Round judges for the Fernand Gillet-Hugo Fox Competition: Nora Cismondi, Hengjian Fang, Alex Klein, Pauline Oostenrijk and Titus Underwood.
The Final Round of the Norma Hooks Young Artist Competition and the Fernand Gillet- Hugo Fox Competition will be held during the 2nd IDRS Virtual Symposium IDRS, July 28 & 30, 2021, respectively.